MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2001, 05:27 PM   #1
snipe
Registered Member

Post Headers

Does anyone have any experience and or suggestions about Hedman's shorty style header pn 88650? I'm looking for a shorty style header for my 69 Mach 1 351w Edelbrock performer heads FMX auto-floor. According to the cat. book, it says they won't work with an auto/floor. Thanks.
snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 10:13 PM   #2
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Umm...just curious, but why shorties?
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:12 AM   #3
j's69stang
Registered Member

i got a 69 coupe with a 302 and i bought the hedman full length headers and they were a b**ch to put in. i couldnt find any shorty style headers for it, but i pulled the motor twice and i wish i had the shortys so i could have bolted on before i put the motor in. i have a c-4 auto so no matter which ones you get there a pain to put in.
j's69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 12:52 AM   #4
Murray
Registered Member

I JUST BOUGHT THE SAME SHORTIES FOR MY 68. I'M PUTING IN A FLOOR SHIFT BECAUSE THEY WON'T WORK WITH A COLUMN SHIFT. I DO KNOW THAT SOME FLOOR SHIFTS STILL HAVE A ROD GOING UP TO THE COLUMN TO WORK THE INDICATOR. THIS ROD CAN BE IN THE WAY FOR HEADERS. HOPEFULLY I'LL INSTALL THEM THIS WEEKEND IF OTHER PARTS ARRIVE ON TIME. MURRAY
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 02:04 AM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Just a little confused, do you have a c4 or a fmx? C4 is easier to get around from everything I have seen. I have the 351c, and my headman headers fit around my fmx no problem. had to jack up drivers side of engine to get them in but no problem otherwise. I would guess they have 351W headers for that application.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:21 PM   #6
Fostang
Registered Member

I'm going to tell a few people in on a secret of how to put on full length headers in an older car. Like say a 67-68 stang with a 302. What you do first is drive your car up on ramps..then remove your old stuff (exhaust manifolds and cut out sufficient lenght off the pipes say up to the shifter selector or so). Then instead of trying to slip your new headers in from the top you slide them in from the bottom the space your car is sitting at from the floor on the ramps is more than just suficient to get them in. Now if you have a column shift you must disconnect the shifter from the tranny then from the piece mounted to the firewall. Then you can slip them on and once you have them bolted you can put the lever back on. Hope this helps some people I ruined a new header without knowing this second time was a snap.

67' Fastback- edelbrock carb,intake,and cam; aluminum radiator,and water pump; dynomax cerama headers, dual flows, H-Pipe; roller rocker arms, road lifters; mod. c-4,shift kit, hurst v-matic shifter, and stall converter; 9 inch rear end; and of course a K&N filer.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote