MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2000, 01:52 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Post Heater Problem

I have a '67 coupe with A/C and am having trouble getting heat - yes, it cools off in Texas. The hose that goes to the water control valve gets hot. The water control valve opens - at least it shows that it is open - but the hose that goes from the valve into heater case stays cool and the return hose also stays cool. It seems to me that heater core problems usually result in a leak. Could the core be blocked? It appears to me that the bottom half of the case that houses the core would slide right out if I disconnected the two hoses at the fire wall. Is this correct? Thanks for any help. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2000, 08:19 PM   #2
ohioboy
Registered Member

sounds like it is plugged??
some ideas.... disconnect hoses and try using a garden hase to pass water through it. CAREFULL garden hose has too much pressure for core. so hold the hoses together with your hand toavoid too much pressure build up.
-I have had success using a good drain unclogger to clean the core, if too bad it will probaably spring a leak. need to fill core with hoses up in the air to hold water and let stand overnight.
-check operation of valve with garden hose
water should pass right through and out the other hose.
-another is if radiator isn't at pressure you'll never get enough heat into the water.,
-i don't think thermostat in engine prohibits circulation to heater core it should always circulate
-most of these older cores are of heavy construction and can easily be repaired by a good radiator shop if a probablem is present.
ohioboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2000, 06:13 AM   #3
brockjoe
Registered Member

i have seen people plug up the control valve when they leak. draino is one of my fav's to use when flushihg a system just be sure to get it all out.
joe
brockjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2000, 10:22 PM   #4
LuvMyStang
Registered Member

My heater never seemed to warm up too much until the heater core finally sprang a leak and I replaced it. That made a huge difference. As cheap as they are, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it.
LuvMyStang is offline   Reply With Quote