MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2000, 08:00 AM   #1
bonehead
Registered Member

Question Help again

Ok I've been told I should put in a Petronix system, how do I know what to order? Can someone explain dual points? As I said I am new to all of this so bear with me. ANy other suggestions on what to do for performance on a stock 289, keep it simple guys as I am a simple man.
You guys have been very helpful with everything thanks in advance.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 08:28 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Wink

Bonehead, you just need to contact a parts supplier either a local parts store or one of the mustang parts suppliers and they will be able to set you up with this system. I would advise you to upgrade your coil if you go with Petronix. They have a toll free number 800-827-3758.
As far as dual points this is an old way to get a better spark to your plugs. It is a major pain to set them up correctly and would recommend the Petronix for easy install.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 08:58 AM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Bonehead,
The Pertronix system is very easy to install. I am not a mechanic and I had no problems at all. Clark is right, any of the usual suppliers and vendors should have just what you need. I ordered the Flamethrower coil when I got mine. I also put on new wires, plugs, and everything else for a good tune up and it was great. At around 60 dollars or so (for the Pertronix kit) it is a great cheap mod.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote