MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 08:37 PM   #1
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Question Help I can't get my Headers off

I have a 289 with a viscous exhaust leak. I believe its a bad header gasket but I can't check. The bolts used to hold the "Ford Motorsport" headers on are like nothing I have ever seen before. they are similar to a torx head but there are more points than any torx socket has. A regular old 12 point socket will work on these bolts but some of them do not have enough clearance for even a 1/4 drive socket. This exhaust leak is driving me crazy. Can someone tell me how to get these things off before I do something silly like sell my car.
Black-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:22 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

My experience with header bolts is that you need a combination of sockets and wrenches to get to the bolts. You will have to go at some of them from the top and some from the bottom. 12 point closed end wrench should work as well. By the way, what gasket are you using? Is it paper of factory metal backed? Header bolts also require constant tightening; less after the first month. But I checked mine daily for a week, then weekely for a while. Now they have set in and I check them about once every 4-5 months.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:26 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

They are a 12 point external torx head type bolt. Get good gaskets and make certain that the header flange is flat, file it if you have to, and install Stage 8 bolts. Once they are in and the keepers are installed they "don't" come out.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote