MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2000, 03:21 PM   #1
dark horse
Registered Member

Post help with spark

I'm having a problem getting spark so the engine will fire. I think my timings off though I am not sure. My wires are good and so are my plugs. The car ran when the plug wires were mixed up but I fixed them and now it won't. Do you think my coil could be damaged? Somebody suggest something I need help. Thanks!

------------------
1968 Mustang Coupe.
289 2v. c-4 automatic
Dual exhaust and full legth headers with glasspacks.
dark horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 07:38 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Check to see if you're getting voltage from the coil wire (goes to the distributor). Hold it about an inch from a ground and crank the engine a couple of times. You should see a blue spark. Make sure there's no gas lying around on the intake or anywhere. If you've got spark there, take out the #1 plug and hold your finger on the hole while cranking until you just feel compression. Do this with the coil wire completely removed and with the engine cold. Do the cranking a little at a time. Just bump, bump, bump. When you feel compression, stop. Look at the timing marks on the balancer/damper. You should be near top dead center on the timig marks. Turn the crank by hand to allign the timing marks to tdc. Take off the distributer cap. The rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug terminal. If not, correct this. Carefully check to make sure the timing order is correct. Should be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. THE FIRING ORDER ON THE DISTRIBUTOR GOES COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I've made that mistake myself is why i'm emphasizing. If all this checks out and you've got gas in the chambers , it should fire. Hope this helps.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 07:51 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

Talking

To check if the coil is working, pull the center wire on the distributor cap and hold the end about a half inch away from a ground (an unpainted a bolt head that goes into the engine block works). Turn over the engine and you should see a spark jump the air gap. If there is a spark, I would check your points next.

Good Luck
-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 07:54 PM   #4
red
Registered Member

Damn Rev,
We must have been working on this one at the same time.

Great minds work alike
-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 08:09 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Hey horse, let us know what happened. Did it start?

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote