Thread: help with spark
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2000, 07:38 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Check to see if you're getting voltage from the coil wire (goes to the distributor). Hold it about an inch from a ground and crank the engine a couple of times. You should see a blue spark. Make sure there's no gas lying around on the intake or anywhere. If you've got spark there, take out the #1 plug and hold your finger on the hole while cranking until you just feel compression. Do this with the coil wire completely removed and with the engine cold. Do the cranking a little at a time. Just bump, bump, bump. When you feel compression, stop. Look at the timing marks on the balancer/damper. You should be near top dead center on the timig marks. Turn the crank by hand to allign the timing marks to tdc. Take off the distributer cap. The rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug terminal. If not, correct this. Carefully check to make sure the timing order is correct. Should be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. THE FIRING ORDER ON THE DISTRIBUTOR GOES COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I've made that mistake myself is why i'm emphasizing. If all this checks out and you've got gas in the chambers , it should fire. Hope this helps.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote