MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
jim2f
65 coupe

Default Hi-Po 289 exhaust manifolds....?

I am working on my 65 coupe. Upgrading to Holley Fuel Injection and a few other mods. The 289 in my car is a 2v, with the added performance of the new intake and fuel injection the engine will need better flowing exhaust. The rest of the engine is stock except for electronic ignition. I am undecided as to install headers or the cast iron hi-po exhaust manifolds. I like the retro look of the cast iron but not sure of how well they work. Has anybody installed the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds and how will they effect torque and horsepower.

While i have the intake off I thought about removing the heads to match the intake ports and doing a little polishing on the runners. Anybody had any luck with this.
jim2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Hi-Po 289 exhaust manifolds....?

If your not concerned with the stock looks (Since you put efi on it im guessing your not) I would go with a set of high quality ceramic coated headers. When I rebuilt my motor I did some port matching, though I wouldnt do it unless your pulling the whole motor. If you dont mind replacing all the gaskets you might as well pull the motor, then you can clean up the motor and engine bay too. Im pretty horrible about having my projects snowball on me though!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
jim2f
65 coupe

Did you install long tube or shorties?
jim2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

I originally went with long tubes, but they interfered with my clutch linkage so I had to use shorty headers.