MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-22-2001, 01:39 PM   #1
David Fulford
Registered Member

Post Holley electric choke

My choke on my holley carb(4160 I think) seems to want to stay idled up for too long. I usually can drive it about 10 or 15 minutes before it finally idles down. Can this be adjusted by turning the choke housing and if so which way. Thanks for any help.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 07:03 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

David, did it just recently start taking that long. With warmer weather, it should be quicker to normal idle RPM. Might be your electric choke heating element giving up the ghost. Could be a bad ground or hot lead connection to the choke. Try adjusing it first. I think counter clockwise lossens the choke spring, but don't bet the farm on that. Take off the housing (black round plastic) and look at the spring to make sure. Mark where it was at before you do that. Then you'll be certain which way loosens the spring. You want the choke off as soon as your car will drive decently for good gas mileage and fewer emissions.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote