MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2001, 12:42 AM   #1
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Talking A Valve Cover Story (long but gimme some pointers here)

Hey this is my story of my 7 continuous hours of work on my 89 gt. Please read and then tell me what you think.

It all started about 11:00 am (20 min after waking up) i decided i would take off my valve covers and clean them up and give them a fresh shot of ford blue paint. Also the gaskets needed to be changed so i headed off to the Discount Auto to buy some gaskets.
Well it is now about 11:20 and i am 3 gaskets ( one for upper intake ) more and $22 less. I park my car in my garage and get the shop fan ahold of it.
I take off 4 of 6 bolts that hold on my intake when i am going for the back two i say to myself screw it i will just take off the hood. So i did and i got them all out eccept for one to keep it in place.
I start undoing all the vacuum i think need to be taken off. So i get my majik (magic) marker in hand and start to number 1 ... so on and so on, then take some ductape and take the hose and write the corrosponding number. i get to about 8 and i start to look at all the hoses and i am like "oh no no no i am not doing all of them" so i just undo what needs to be undone so that i can move my intake around. I get my BBK cold air outta the way and i am ready to start for those valve covers.
i get the right one going (looking into the engine bay). I call my dad out to hold the intake up so i can get the the middle bolt. YAY all out.. so i wiggle and wiggle untill finally it is off.
Next one. Man this one was tough. I slid the intake over to the right and began to move wires and hoses around. I had to bend my fuel lines outta the way and the thing to hoist the engine up had to be bent to get access to the bolt. After 30 min (yes 30) of wiggle this way and that way i get it outta there and my dad says it will be even harder to get back on so i was like d@mn.
I set the covers aside and get to cleaning the heads for new gaskets by scraping the old ones away. ( i even found part of the old quark gasket was stuck IN a valve spring ) I get all that cleaned and set so i go to the covers themselves. i get some degreaser, steel wool, sand paper (fine), rags and water. i clean for about 2 and 1/2 hours on those things.. (these were aluminum.. is that stock?) I got them all nice and smooth and shot them with 3 coats of ford blue engine paint. i put some silicon on the valve cover and stuck the gasket to it and got it down alright ( the right hand one that is ) but the left hand i put silicon on the head and then the gaset and then the cover which took me about an hour to get on by the way.. all in all that is 7 hours and a good job ( by my standards for my first time ) it looks sweet and i got to run around town all night (racing?) without a hood!

------------------
1989 Mustang GT - BBK cold air kit, 3.73 gears, stock t5 (needs a rebuild), synthetic oil, mostly stock because i need it for school but i can still run the sh!t outta her.
1967 Mustang GT S-Code (390) - stroked to a 427 with 12.5:1 dome top pistons, dual 650 holly quads, lunati racing cam, edlebrock aluminum heads, MSD ignition and wires, Holly fuel delivery system, Eagle connecting rods and Eagle crank, 3.73 gears, 4 speed top loader, coupe, dark moss green. ( this is my outta town runner
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 07:29 AM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

These were aluminum.. is that stock

Yes only if they are plaine all smooth no writing on the out side. I have done my valve cover 3 times and my freinds 2 times you get fast the more you do it

------------------
14.62@96.9 Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bell housing, Adjustable Clutch Cable, AL Driveshaft
Suspension: MAC Control Arms, Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Shocks
Exhaust: 1 5/8 UN-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back
Cooling: 3 Core Radiator

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote