MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Question Hood Spring Replacement

My new reproduction hood springs were so weak they wouldn't keep my hood up on my 68 hardtop. After searching I found some used original ones at Metro Mustang and got them in yesterday. My dumb question is can I just use a tire tool or other type bar and stretch off the repro springs and then stretch the other set back on? Surely, I don't have to remove the hood and hinges to do this. Just wanted to make sure I didn't damage anything trying to stretch the new ones on. May take me and the wife to stretch these originals on (ha ha) because they're a little shorter and significantly tighter than the repro crap i got. Also, FYI according to Metro Mustang when they restore their stangs they never use repro hood springs because they've had similar problems.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Fiberglass hood replacement springs?

I'm wondering if you could have gotten springs meant for a fiberglass hood? They are intentionally weaker so as not to stress the hood on closing. Just a thought?

I'm gonna go out and check the tension on my original '66 hood springs with the hinges all the way open. My thinking is it shouldn't take much to put new springs in with the hood propped fully open.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
induction
The Brit!

I use those black rubber tie downs ( not the cloth bungie cords ) that have the metal hooks on the end.
Just remove the hooks and put the end of the spring into the eyelet , stand( with the hood fully open ) and give the cord a good pull. This will remove the spring from the front mount, release it SLOWLY and it will come right of. Repeat for the other side with someone holding the hood so it dosent fall.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

Never thought of using the rubber tie downs. Sounds like a good idea - may just try that instead. No, I didn't order the ones for the fiberglass hood. Do recall they sold 2 separate ones. I actually did order 2 sets from 2 different companies (both for the steel hoods) and they both stunk. Actually did stretch one off and replaced it but it was no stronger than what I had. With the hood fully open I don't think I'll have to stretch them out but 2 or 3 inches at the most but it'll take quite a bit of effort. Just wanted to double check that I wasn't taking a chance of warping the hinges or pulling them out of the engine compartment mounting holes by installing them with the hinges mounted. Know I'm not that strong and surely you wouldn't remove the hood or hinges to replace the springs. I made a homemade device of steel to stretch them out so I could clean them up real good and paint. As soon as paint cures will mount probably next weekend. Thanks for the tips. If someone hears a faint scream and sees what appears to be a missle flying overhead, you know I lost control of one during the process (ha ha).
Old 09-07-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
induction
The Brit!

Don't worry its not that tough you wont need alot of effort to remove them. lol I did my own and I'm a girl
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Kisner
Registered Member

Finally got around to installing the "original" hood springs yesterday on my 68 hardtop. Had a hell of a time getting leverage and getting the passenger side stretched on (probably 45 minutes and numerous tries). Took one try and 2 minutes to stretch the spring on the driver's side. They work just like they did in 68! Hood now stays firmly and securly in any position I put it in now. Valuable lesson learned - some repro parts are OK, but never use repro springs - they will not hold your hood up. Thanks for all the tips.