MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
dagit
Registered Member

Default hot ignition coil?

I have a 1968 coupe with a 289 that was running poorly due to its carburetor.So about a three months ago i decided to replace my very old re re rebuilt carb with a new one. i also decided to take off the intake manifold and sandblast/re-paint it. i took everything apart, made notes , painted and so on, now its time to reassemble. I get everything back together just fine except i don't recall where the ignition coil goes, it seems like it sits on the intake manifold except a hose&port coming out of the intake for the cooling system blocks me from connecting it to the distributor.so any way for the time being i bolt it to the a/c condenser where it might have even been(damn i should have took pics). now my fuel pump ain't-a pump'n, but more importantly the ignition coil is getting really hot, im worried i might be once again forgetting something. there were two red-green stripe wires coming from the ignition switch,one with a cap connector and one with a ring connector. i hooked the cap to this pin coming out of the intake manifold and the ring to the positive terminal on the ignition coil, and of course the distributor to the negative terminal. Why is the ignition coil getting sooo hot?
feel free to bash me for undertaking this project without more knowledge, i think im gonna take up the motto " if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated, Paul
dagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
bears4ever
Registered Member

Default Re: hot ignition coil?

Hi Paul
I also have a 68 coupe. With a 289. When standing in front of the car the coil goes on the left front side of the block. just above the right side of the alternator and above the left side of the water pump. You will find that a hose is close to this. Your right on with the cap part going to the BAT side of the coil.(unless someone has changed connectors). The Bat side of the coil should trace back to your ignition switch. I hope this helps.
bears4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
dagit
Registered Member

thanks bears4ever, at least im on the right track. well it seems as though its hooked up right, but still getting hot as hell. Im just wondering what problem this is a symptom of? I don't think the coil is bad (...yet). I'd hate to buy a new one and find out i have the same problem.
dagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
bears4ever
Registered Member

Hey paul

The other things to check for is a short. Disconnect your lead wire at the coil. You should have 12 volts only when the key is turned on. Maybe a bad coil wire or bad contacts. If you removed you alternator double check the connections are right. Only other things I can think of now.
bears4ever is offline   Reply With Quote