MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2000, 01:43 AM   #1
Mo65
Registered Member

Post Hot wires

I finally had the opportunity to start once in for all my engine on my 65. Everythings seem to be runing smooth however, I seem to have a little problem. The wire loom on the alternator seem to overheat and then the plastic filling melts. I've change the wires twice. Also, opon acceleration all of the courtesty lights, and all lights in my interior got bright and brighter to the point that all light bulbs when out. The alternator gets real hot. I took the alternator to the local auto parts and they advised me that the alternator is is working properly. What could be might problem? Any suggestions?

Mo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2000, 11:56 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

If your alternator is working than I would change the voltage regulator mounted near the starter solenoid.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2000, 08:33 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

It's the voltage regulator that's bad. This can allow excessive voltage to accessories and cause the the problems that you describe. Mine cost $25 here in Houston at John's Mustang (a genuine Ford unit). Will probably cost you more, but this is what's needed. Hope this helps.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2000, 01:16 AM   #4
Mo65
Registered Member

Unhappy

Thanks guys for the response. Today I bought a new voltage regulator and replaced it. However, it persisted on doing the same thing it did previously. Opon acceleration the interior light got bright again blew them out. Hot wires, and hot alternator persists.

I also have a descrepancy with the alternator wire loom, and engine feed wiring sytem, which I suspect is causing this malfunction. My car is and original equiped 65 V8 with original equipped gauge instrument. When I purchased the new wiring system I made sure I bought the correct one to my application. According to the Wiring diagram manual, the alternator wire loom that is conected from the main firewall engine feed wire loom has additional wire that I do not have.
The diagram has the alternator wire loom with the following wires: white wire(FLD), black/red(grd),black/yellow(Bat) with the radio suupresor pig tail out let and an additional yellow/black wire that is conected and relayed from the alternator to the stater relay. On my wires I do not have the black/yellow wire that is relayed runs from the alternator to the stater relay. With out this wire there is no juice on the car. I've been running a provisional wire from the (bat) conection of the alternator to the starter relay to give me juice. In my wiring system I also have a solid yellow wire with a black protective coating that seems to be conected to the starter relay. I also have a solid black wire similar to the yellow wire, which seems to conected to the starter relay too. I've conected both to the stater relay. In my wiring diagram I have no reference to a solid black wire. I want to know if any of you guys with the same application that I have, 65 Mustang Pony int, V8 alternator with gauge instrument have the same wiring as I do? If so, what might be the trouble I that have with my electrical and wiring system descrepancies.

I am tired of these hot wires, looking at schematics that don't match, and any thing that saids "Mustang" on it.
Please help.
Old 06-18-2000, 11:35 AM   #5
92GT50RH
Registered Member

go to www.pa-performance.com and e-mail them. they advertised in 5.0 and super ford. just a thought - they are big in mustangs....
92GT50RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 09:24 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Moises, mine is a '66, but i'll bet it's similar. Somehow, you've run a wire that effectively has eliminated the voltage regulator. My harness (loom) has only 3 wires to the alternator (Autolite). If you've run any extra wires, I feel certain that you've wired around the voltage regulator rendering it inoperative. You may need expert local help on this, but it's a sure thing that the alternator is delivering it's full potential voltage to your car's circuit.

Rev
Old 06-20-2000, 10:55 PM   #7
Mo65
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks for response, 92GT50RH, and Rev. Last time I spoke to a gentlemen who owns a Mustang reproduction firm and told me where the wire does go through on the amp gage. After conecting this wire it gave me the juice for the entire electrical system, and only three wires are needed on the wire loom system as Rev pointed out.
However, I still have the problem with interior lights geting bright and burning the alternator wire looms. I reffered to PA performance as 92GT50RH pointed out. They responded and suspected that I don't have a propper ground and perhaps that is why it is passing too much current. I checked grounds and they were as PA perf. suggested however, the problem still persists.
My dad suspects that it is the intrument panel voltage regulator, however I don't think is the problem.
Tommorow an man who has knowledge on auto electric stuff is going to check out the car; hopefully he will find the reason.
Thanks, and I'll keep you informed on what the outcome is.
Old 06-22-2000, 08:25 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Moises, Let us know what you find out. I'll bet i'm not the only one curious about this.

Rev

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: