View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 02:13 PM   #9
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Default 1" Shelby drop on early mustangs

When I decided to do the drop, I purchased a 1" sway bar with polyurethane bushings, and a polyurethane bushing kit, and front 620 shelby rate springs from TMC (traction master company) in Los Angeles. They were supplying Shelby for a time.

They gave me the paper template that I layed over the two upper control arm holes to properly locate and drill the bottom holes. I used a punch and hammer to make a dent so the small drill would not walk. I then drilled the hole to the exact size specified. That was it for that.

The polyurethane bushing kit included bushings for the link end of the sway bar, for the lower control arm bushing, and for the spring saddle perch. I had a shop press the old bushings out. The new ones go in without pressing. I used synthetic grease to help eliminate squeeks.

Your upper A arm uses solid bushings. You need to make sure the solid bushings and the ball joints are good. you can drill the ball joint without the zerk fitting and add one. This would be what I would do. Also, when you move the upper A arms back 1/8 inch it makes it hard to lube the driver rear upper A arm fitting. I have seen long zerks for sale in the NPD or Mustangs Plus catalog. Buy these. It will make routine greasing really easy.

Shelby American Auto Club will also have the template for the 1" drop. Seems that some of the 65 and 66 Shelby's left the lot in Long Beach without the drop. Guess they had deadlines to meet.

Hope this helps. You can email me at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com if you have additional questions or concerns.

Jim