MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2000, 02:46 PM   #1
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question Squeaky Steering...

There is a lot of squeaking coming from my front end whenever I turn the wheel. There appears to be a power steering fluid leak somewhere as evident from the small drips that gather under my car, which I previously thought was oil. Glad I don't have an oil leak, but not too happy to have a power steering fluid leak either. I had to add a little fluid yesterday. It was about 1/4 in. below the min. line. That was the first time in the four months of ownership that I've added any.
Any ideas? Is the squeaking caused by whatever is leaking, or are they seperate problems? Any foreseen problems?

Thanks

------------------
'96 GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70mm TB, Steeda Tri-ax, March U/D pulleys

T-Bone's '96 GT
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 04:06 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, its possibly due to the leak....

Another possibility is friction...
When is the last time you've given your vehicle a nice relaxing lube job?

A good way to figure it out is to have someone turn the wheel while you look under the car. Try to locate where the squeak is coming from. It will help you determine just what is causing the sound...

------------------
98 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Dyno-Max Cat backs, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, FMS pullies, 87mm MAF, Roush cold air kit, Eibach springs, and Zex 75 shot
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 05:33 PM   #3
moosejaw
Registered Member

Lightbulb

One of the most common wheel turning sqeaks is rack bushings. Have someone bump the wheel back and forth and watch the rack from above. It probably moves some at best. At worst it moves alot. I bet it wanders just a little on the highway too....

Rubber sucks for rack bushings. They dry rot quickly. For a replacement get some poly (don't have to be offset) and you will notice a huge improvement. Easily replaced without disturbing the alignment.
Mike
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 01:39 AM   #4
T-Bone
Registered Member

Something on the front end was replaced before I took it home from the dealership. It was like a $900 job. They said it was driven out of alignment for too long and caused permanent damage to something...Not sure what it was though.
Old 05-24-2000, 07:36 PM   #5
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well, guys, I jacked the car up a few minutes ago and pinpointed the squeaky spot and the leak. I took pictures of both and they are below(I hope this works).
The first is the squeaky spot. It is only on the passenger side. What is this called? Can it be fixed cheap? Can I spray some WD40 on it or something like that?
The second is a shot of the two possible power steering leak spots. Same question. Can it be fixed without replacing something outragously expensive?
Any help is appreciated!

Sqeak Leak

I hope the pics came up!

Thanks

The pics didn't work. I guess the Administrators of the forum have disabled the image function. ergh... So follow the links instead please to see the pics. They are small so they will load fast.

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 05-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 05-24-2000).]
Old 05-24-2000, 08:27 PM   #6
moosejaw
Registered Member

Lightbulb

The sqeak looks like the ball joint. "lubed for life my a**". Probably dried out and needs replacement. Stock ball joints don't have grease fittings.

The leak from the rack looks like the machining plug opposite the steering input shaft. Not too sure about pulling the plug and resealing it. Anyone else done that? Suggestions?
Mike
Old 05-24-2000, 09:00 PM   #7
T-Bone
Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I looked in my Mustangs Unlimited catalog, they had ball joints for up to '93's for $17-$45. I guess I'll have to go to the Ford dealership for mine. I also looked in my Chiltons manual, and the replacement looks like something I can handle.
Thanks again. Keep em' comin' fellas.
Old 05-24-2000, 09:11 PM   #8
moosejaw
Registered Member

You going to use the hobby shop on base to do this job?
Old 05-24-2000, 09:44 PM   #9
T-Bone
Registered Member

Thought I'd do it at home actually, but I would have to buy to the C-clamp,which they probably have at the auto hobby shop,huh?
Old 05-25-2000, 05:24 PM   #10
moosejaw
Registered Member

My experience has always been good at Air Force hobby shops. Well funded, safe equipment. Lots of tools. The Navy shops pale in comparison.
If that ball joint is not loose, maybe you should try installing a grease fitting.
Just a thought, should of thought it before.
Mike