MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Question How do I raise the rear of the car??

Here is my latest problem...I just added a new rear anti sway bar and the tailpipe (both sides) is hitting it when I hit a bump. Problem started a while back when I had the pipes custom bent. At that point - I had the original leaf springs on the car. Once I switched to the heavy 5 leaf springs - the rear lowered about 2 inches. I have compensated for this by adding 1" lower front coil springs. I love the handling that the rear anti sway bar has given me, but every time I hit a bump - I can hear the tailpipes hitting the bar. I don't want to remove the bar because of the handling. Is there a way to raise the body of the car while retaining the same leaf springs. I know they make lift kits for trucks, but has anyone heard of such a thing for a Mustang. Another thought would be to have custom shackles made to raise the body. Last resort would be to have new pipes bent and installed, but before I do that I figured that I would ask...
TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

If you like the way it handles dont change a thing. The easiest and probably cheepest thing to do is change the tailpipe.
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobgoblin351
If you like the way it handles dont change a thing. The easiest and probably cheepest thing to do is change the tailpipe.
That's right. It's only those 2 pipes, redone. I know, we hate to pay again for the same thing, but often for custom stuff, we do have to.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Will have it looked at.

Good advice - why mess with the suspension any more now that it is where I want it. Still don't like paying for it twice. The first set was rather funny...A friend said he could do it (he is a mechanic) and I agreed. He ordered 2 five foot sections of pipe. Well about 3 hours later and 25 feet of tubing - he had it close enough to drive home. I let it go at that since he didn't charge me for the extra pipe. I think he learned a valuable lesson in pipe bending...It' not as easy as it looks.

I am taking it to a specailist Saturday morning...We will see how that goes?

Thanks...
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: