MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Max Mabazza
Registered Member

Default how do i remove the distributor??

i need help taking out the distributor on my 72 mustang. i need to take it out because the source of an antifreeze leakage seems to be coming from underneath it. can anyone tell me where to start?? i took out the spark plugs and now i dont know where to go from here!!
Max Mabazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: how do i remove the distributor??

Sounds like a bad thermostat gasket or even a bad intake gasket.

Neither of these requires the removal of the distributor. I'd first change out the thermostat. If that doesn't fix it, then swap out the intake gasket....

Another spot it could be is the heater hose which connects to the intake manifold...

It could also be the waterpump leaking, itself... but that would only show up on the underside of the pump.

Another thing it could be is a blown head gasket or cracked head... but that is stuff of last resort...

BTW... the reason I haven't told you how to take out the distributor is because I really don't think you need to
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Max Mabazza
Registered Member

thanks philly. im sure your right. when i look under the distributor after running the car, theres always smoke coming out of my car and a puddle of coolant under the car and right under the distributor which could be leaking from the gasket and im positive that none of the hoses are leaking. but thats all i can see with the distributor in the way. can you please tell me where the thermostat gasket and the intake gasket are located?
Max Mabazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

First, its pretty obvious that you need to grab a manual for your vehicle... There are few better investments out there....

Second, the thermostat is on top, and in the front of the engine (beside the distributor), easy to find... its housing is what the top hose that goes to the radiator clamps on to.

There are two bolts that bolt the thermostat housing to the intake manifold... the intake manifold is what the carburetor is bolted to, and it bolts to the cylinder heads...

A new thermostat and gasket will run about $7... now, it could also be possible that the thermostat housing itself has rusted through, you can pick one of them up for around $10 from most parts retailers.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Oh... and be sure to drain the coolant prior to taking off the thermostat, otherwise, it'll make quite the mess... as always, never deal with coolant unless the engine is cool. Being bathed in a 200 degree chemical and water mix isn't fun, no matter what some might have you believe.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

I've always pulled the distributor when i pull the intake. If you do pull it, make sure you know where it was pointing so you dont throw your timing way off, you'll also need a timing light. If you have to replace the intake gaskets, throw out the cork pieces for the front and back of the intake and use RTV sealent. (will be a pretty thick bead) I normally put a little around the ports on the heads too. Make sure you scrap all the old crap off too.