MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-18-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default How light can they be?

Ok these cars start out light in fact i think civics weigh about teh same.

So my question is how much mreo can you lighten them up?

Ive seen fiberglass everythign for these cars really.

What i have not seen is frame components anfloor pans and what not made form lgihter materials? Drive shafts? Rear Ends?

Does noone make aluminum components for these i know you can get aluminum dirveshafts for newer mustangs.

How much weight do you think you could save if you used aluminum instead of steel frame rails?

Trying to be somewhere around 2300lbs or less.

Anyone know how much a whole fiberglass front end shaves off?

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:54 AM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Go Check out Mustangsplus, think their web site is mustangsplus.com. They have lots of light weight components including fiberglass and carbon fiber body parts, aluminum driveshafts, and racing suspension components. I am sure other places have it as well.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Ok let me ask a more specific question.

first off anyone know if i coudl put a tilt fiberglass front end on a msutang and drive it on teh street? I assume the front end is jsut the outer shell and wont include the wheelwells?

Would i jsut be able to mold the wheelwells into the shell and have it as oone piece?

More importantly though. If i had a 65 or 66 stang with a 302 in it T-5 aluminum diriveshaft no air. WHole frotn end beign fiberglass and probaly a few pieces in the back as well.

No outside door handles
Aluminum heads

throw out the ol back seat and spare and all taht junk that no one needs.

What do you think ill be weighing at? 2400 lbs?

Lets say i got a little mreo extensive and basicalyl had a complete fiberglass body what would i be weighign at?

DOes teh body realyl weigh very much ro shoudl i look at other options such as the frame?

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Old 11-23-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
DJs350H
Registered Member

I can't really comment on specific weights, but I saw an example of tilt-front-end Mustang on the TCP website awhile back. If you went that route, I am assumuming you would be removing the whole exisiting front of the unibody to really save weight--adding a bolt on type lower suspension. Kind of like a Chevy eh!? Otherwise you could save the about the same amount of weight with bolt on fiberglass/carbon/kevlar components. Lots of fab work for the tilt-end, I and don't know how stable the car would be in corners (lots of flex without the full unibody?). You'd have to make a full cage probably to tie to the front suspension. But yeah, it can be done, and I've seen it before.

DJ
DJs350H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 11:55 PM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Look at http://www.usbody.com/64-66%20Mustang.htm#pic and www.up22.com. You can buy a complete fibreglass body for a 65 FB if you want, but iI would recommend building a different chassis for the car. Front clips, deck lids, anything or everything you want is available.

Have fun...BTW, how fast do you want to go?

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Originally i wanted to go over 200 MPH Top Speed then after talkign to alot of peopel and basicalyl being told it wasnt wise due to aerodynamics changed my mind althoguh all i would need is a turbo to more then likely be very close....

But basically a 10 sec car that can pull over 1 G on the skid pad

Old 11-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #7
Ron1
Registered Member

At 2400 pounds that should be a piece of cake to do. I did read in one of your prior posts something about "no outside door handles"....
You have to have them. From the NHRA to the SCCA, in case of accident, they have to be there.

Ron
Old 11-24-2002, 10:42 PM   #8
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Well I kidna wanted to shave them off i would be able to open teh door from the inside and also have push buttons on teh outside hidden somewhere.

I wouldnt actually be in competitions or stuff liek that and jsut drag it maybe 4 times a year or so. More of a street car.

It is legal for a street car right?

Old 11-25-2002, 10:08 AM   #9
Ron1
Registered Member

If they see it, youre not racing. Street car or race car. I guess you could lean up against the car when he came by, but you want a 10 second car, why take the chance yourself. 10 seconds is 120-130 MPH.

Ron