View Single Post
Old 08-02-1999, 01:39 AM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

Every car I've ever seen, I've seen variances up to 500 pounds. As for 67 coupes, my old one was registered with the DMV at 2900 pounds. I don't know how accurate this info is.

My 66 GT fastback is registered at only 2600 pounds, which I think sounds too light.

Like I said, I've seen figures much higher than this, I recall an old magazine article that listed a 67 or 68 fastback at nearly 3400 pounds. I don't know if this included a full tank of gas and a driver.

All in all, I've become convinced that the old cars probably weigh a couple of hundred pounds less than the new ones. Although they are a little bit bigger and use more metal and less plastic, the old cars were pretty basic. Most new cars come loaded down pretty heavy from the factory, with power steering, A/C, Power brakes, Power windows, Power seats, some are hatch backs, A LOT more wire is installed in the new cars, and in general, everywhere you look on a new one, SOMETHING is filling the space. The old cars just had an engine, transmission, and rear end--nothing much stuffed behind the dash or behind the body panels.

There's no doubt about it, the new cars are really packed tightly. The old cars are just empty shells with a drive train, heater, and a radio.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote