MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
bunskippy
Registered Member

Default Just bought a '68 Mustang 289 2v coupe, what should I do first?

I'm new to muscle cars, but always loved these and a deal came along that was too good to pass up. Now I have this car and am wondering what to do first mechanically. It seems to run ok (low idle speed, I think -- it sometimes stalls out if I don't let it run for a while after startup). I'll do some interior work on it, but am wondering if I should take it to a Mustang mechanic shop somewhere -- but if so, what should I ask them to look at? I'm mostly interested in engine, tranny, etc. But i don't want to pay $400 for labor for someone to tell me "everything's ok" and leave it at that...
any advice or easy first project to tackle would be welcome. Also, anything to listen for or test to see how the car is responding would be great. Thanks for your advice!
bunskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
induction
The Brit!

Thumbs up

Thats a really tough question to answer. I think first of all if everything seems to be sound and in good nick just drive your new friend and enjoy it. Then start with the little things she needs to keep her on the road and running smooth, perhaps a carb rebuild , change ALL the fluids( including the rear end fluids)check for things like tatty wireing and electrical problems. At that point you should have gained a bit of knolage about your new best friend and hopefully you will be able to start doing some of the bigger jobs yourself insted of letting someone else have all the fun.
Decide where you want to go with the car like a full restore or resto-mod, or just a weekend racer. You have plenty of time so don't rush into something you wont be happy with later.

JMO
Have fun with your new classic
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

You should slap a new exhaust on it, unless your going to keep it stock. Then just go cruising!!
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

blower.
no ..well if you want to
hit the cap and rotor change plugs and plug wires
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote