MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   how much to restore a 65 coupe? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=45954)

scottci 04-24-2005 02:50 PM

how much to restore a 65 coupe?

I'm thinking about buying a straight six 65 coupe that is rust free and stripped and ready for restoration.

How much could I expect to pay for a quality restoration (myself doing most if not all of the work)? I'm not looking to have a show quality car, but something pretty nice that will turn some heads.

The engine is in pretty good shape, so I'm mostly talking about a complete interior redo, on exterior, needs bumpers, a few dents, maybe a front fender, and paint.

I'm just looking for a rough esitmate. Maybe if you've done a similar restoration you can tell me how much you spent.

Thanks!
Chris

Orange97GTVert 04-24-2005 06:42 PM

Re: how much to restore a 65 coupe?

How much do you have? Restorations can take a lot of money, especially if you have to have it all done. Even doing it yourself, it is expensive, and like mine, takes forever.

I would really look for a V8 car if I was restoring. The 6 cylinder cars cost the same to restore, but have lower resale, so unless a 6 cylinder is what you really want I would shop around. You could lose money restoring a 6, or halfway through the project you decide you really want a V8, conversion is expensive because you have to swap engines, trannys, rearends, exhaust, front hubs, brakes, and springs, so you have spent more than you would on a V8 car. Just my opinion, for whatever its worth.

COORS 04-24-2005 07:10 PM

well a rough estimate.......

interior= about a grand complete
bumpers= 100 bucks a pop

from experience it all really depends on how deep your wallet is.

Elvis 04-24-2005 07:30 PM

I totally agree with the above reply. It depends on what you want. I have a '67 that is my daily driver. I recently spent about $3,500 getting some body work done and getting it painted. The suspension, steering, etc cost me about $1,500. The interior was in pretty good shape but I still spent about $1,200 and that is with me doing the work. Had the engine rebuilt - another $1,500 or so. A new Edelbrock carb and intake for $400. Looking at some new wheels for $700. It never ends - at least that is what my wife tells me.
I don't want to rain on your parade but you are going to spend a similar amount and you will, in the end, have a nice six cylinder Mustang. You won't be satisfied with the performance and it will have limited resale value. Find an 8 cylinder car. E.

6T9PONY 04-24-2005 08:26 PM

Don't do a 6-banger. You'll regret it.

To do a restoration of the caliber that you're talking about, plan on spending $15,000. That is the very lowest I can imagine you spending for something like this.

bmxmon 04-24-2005 09:39 PM

If your going to go through all the suspension, you might as well get a 6cly. Most people upgrade all the stuff that has to get replaced swapping from a 6 to an 8. But doing it all at once would be a major hit to the wallet.

Devine65GT 04-24-2005 10:49 PM

when my 65 was restored we drop about 10 large into just the exterior, and motor.

Phillyfanfrombirth 04-25-2005 12:00 PM

Count on at least $3500 - $5000 in parts... and a couple more grand for a quality paint.

I have a 72 and 68, both with sixes... They turn heads, and grab 20+ MPG.

Good compromise.

Gearhead999 04-25-2005 06:51 PM

I wouldn't waste my money on a 6 cyl. Sorry, don't mean to step on any toes....but the truth of the matter is, and it a has been stated above, it costs the same to do a 6 as it does an 8.

Figure AT LEAST $10K. It all depends on how fussy YOU ARE !!!!!!

A V-8 car is MUCH more desirable then a 6.

But.....above all else.....have fun and be proud of it....

Kisner 04-26-2005 08:59 AM

When I got my 68, the engine, transmission, and suspension had already been completed. I spent $12,000 over 4 years to turn mine into a show car. That included doing all the work myself except for the paint job.

Rev 04-26-2005 11:09 AM

Everything always costs at least 1.5 times what you think it will. I think $15000 is about right for a nice daily driver. A concourse show car will cost a lot more. You will probably have to go through suspension, brakes, and all of the drive line as well as we're talking about a 40 year old car. I would imagine that i have at least $20,000 in mine (doing almost all the work myself), but that includes a lot of high performance parts.

Rev

6T9PONY 04-26-2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev
Everything always costs at least 1.5 times what you think it will. I think $15000 is about right for a nice daily driver. A concourse show car will cost a lot more. You will probably have to go through suspension, brakes, and all of the drive line as well as we're talking about a 40 year old car. I would imagine that i have at least $20,000 in mine (doing almost all the work myself), but that includes a lot of high performance parts.

Rev

You couldn't be any more correct. Our cars are in pretty similar condition, have a lot of similar things done mechanically, and I think we both had similar projects to start with. As far as costs go we're sitting about even, as well.