MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default How are these cars compared to newer cars?

Ok now that may seem a stupid question and is actaully lol.

What i really want to knwo is more can these cars be made to handle really well and be a good street strip car.

Basically i plan on a mid 60's platform wiht newer mustang components such as a mod motor and hopefully a 6 spd someday.

Can I make a car that is gonna ride pretty well for this set-up or is there some design problem that will make it impossible to create such a car?

I dotn want a new car but I also dotn want a stock 60's stang as my daily driver.

I want an old cars class and appearence with the technology of today basically.

Help me out guys what do you think?

Oh also anyone know where to get some shelby repro parts or ELENOR repro parts? Thanks guys

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
mean81GT
Registered Member

you can do anything you want with the classic mustangs. they make every part imaginable for most models. there was an issue of car craft a couple of months back that had a full detail on the gt500 KR used for "Eleanor". Beleive it or not, she was a real Shelby, not the one they recked obviously. They had part numbers for ervy part you need to make a clone.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:22 AM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

you can do anything you want with classic mustangs these days. There are lots of places out there that sell new parts for the old mustangs. You can make one handle just as good as any of todays cars. I am going to put in a tubular mustang 2 front suspension with coil overs and the whole bit here this winter. I too love the looks of the old cars there just not as comfortable but the more i look into it the more i find out it is easy to make them out handle even the best of todays cars. Just gotta have the money.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
qtlaw
Registered Member

With respect to the engine, I found out from others on another board that you can put multi port fuel injectors on the 289, cost is about $2-3k though. Good luck. I've had both the new ('89 GT Conv) and the old ('66 conv. currently) and prefer the old classic looks but wonder what mult port fuel injection and gatorbacks would be like on my '66. Oh well, maybe you can have the best of both worlds, I can't.
qtlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 07:54 PM   #5
John Z
Registered Member

You can do anything you can afford. The key is research and doing things in an orderly manner. You can put a mod motor in, but it require changing the front suspension so that you can remove the shock towers. You can put in a 6 speed, but you will have to reshape the transmission tunnel. You can put in a Jag independent rear suspension, but you need the frame work to support it. The list goes on and on and the dollars pile up. In the end it will probably cost as much as a new car, but you'll have the styling.
Alternatively, you can take a small step "back" in technology and use a 351W, T5, and 9"rear with good gears and traction lock and have a really quick and reliable car at a much lower cost.
Research
Of course even after doing all of that, you will still have a trunk mounted gas tank, no air bags, etc.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:01 AM   #6
jwboner
Registered Member

Take it from someone who is putting the new technology into older cars. Updating these old cars can make a great daily driver or a tough racer. In the end it might cost as much to improve an old car as just buy a new one but you can space the improvements out over time to lessen the hit on the wallet. You can't beat the style and character, but they require a little more TLC. It just makes me love it even more (most of the time)
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:01 AM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Default You won't get the money back.

You can do all that's been previously mentioned and have a great driver that's very fast and handles well. The only drawback is that you won,t get the money back if you should decide to sell it. I've spent alot on mine and it's a pleasure to drive (for me anyway), but I could never get more than 60-70% of what I've spent (and that's having done almost all of the work myself).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

Since everybodys throwing out ideas, the New cammer motors are as wide across as the old big blocks. So if you want to go with a 65-66, use a 351w, like above.

I've heard but never seen, that the new Cobra IRS bolts up fairly well to the pre 69 cars. Mr Shelby was once seen running around in a 64 falcon with IRS, as it was considered for the orginal mustangs.

The 302 and T-5 will bolt right in, but you mentioned wanting newer stuff. Figure out what you would like, see if it can be done, then if you can afford to get it done.

In the end its your car, so do whatever you want. Just know there will be purists who cry over it if you get too modern or different.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:44 PM   #9
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default Ive decided to stay with the 5.0

Ive decided just to use my motor out of my poor car i wrecked since it somehow survived aolong wiht my T-5.

Rebuild the ol T5 and bolt some diffrent heads and am on and put my new victor intake on the beast.

I thin i read i can bolt hese right in?

If i compeltely take everythign from my msutang will ti really cost aht much for a cnversion?
Estimates?

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote