MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 11:04 PM   #21
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Well it was a simple and free fix. The exhaust tip was hitting agaist the top of the back bumpber. So I just pushed it down abit and the problem seems to be fine now. That is a sure good relief. Like I said again I am not bsing you. That is what my speedo said. And I believe I have 3.55's, I'm not even 100% sure that is just from what little I know and people have agreed. Anyway, I will only tape if I know the road is safe and secure without cops. Yeh they don't take nicely to breaking the sound barrier. I deffinitly want to get wider tires. I'm thinking 205/15's on the front and 245/15's on the rear. Anyone know how wide I can go on the back without having to cut anything or have the tires stick out? I have traction bars too.

Thanks,
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:40 AM   #22
induction
The Brit!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Well it was a simple and free fix. The exhaust tip was hitting agaist the top of the back bumpber. So I just pushed it down abit and the problem seems to be fine now.

Thanks,
§am.
See I was right, It was the muffler bearing , so pay up lol
glad it was easy to fix.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:36 AM   #23
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Like I said again I am not bsing you. That is what my speedo said. And I believe I have 3.55's, I'm not even 100% sure that is just from what little I know and people have agreed. Anyway, I will only tape if I know the road is safe and secure without cops. Yeh they don't take nicely to breaking the sound barrier. I deffinitly want to get wider tires. I'm thinking 205/15's on the front and 245/15's on the rear. Anyone know how wide I can go on the back without having to cut anything or have the tires stick out? I have traction bars too.

Thanks,
§am.
Ben(6T9 Pony) had P295/50/R15s on his coupe.

I'm not saying your BS'ing.......I'm just saying you didn't go 140. Sure the speedo may have be pegged but that doesn't mean you were going 140 or even 120. Ford speedos exp. the older ones are bad inaccurate at higher speeds.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:17 AM   #24
Bake
Registered Member

Default correctness of speedo

Just to let you guys know, Sam as well too cause i dont think he even knows. one day Sam and i were just playing around with his car and i had my G-tech hooked up, he had just gotten his car so we didnt want to push it too hard, so he was driving around and i set the G-tech to do a 0-60 and when the G-tech stopped counting like it does when you hit 60, Sam's speedo was at 60, so it is fairly accurate. i dont know if Sam was going 140 then cause as we all know, speedo's start to loose accuracy over about 80 or 90, but i do believe his speedo was where 140 should be, and it is accurate to the gears he has.
just some info.
Also I have a 2000 V6 mustang, pretty much stock, it only has about 195hp and I have been about 135MPH, that was on my digital speedo that you can turn the odometer into, the needle was maxed. and i know my odometer is accurate, and the newed odometers from are only like 1-2MPH off at top speeds. and if my car that is pretty much the same weight with almost half the HP can go that fast. i believe sam's car can go that fast, even if he does have higher gears. those are just my thoughts tho...

-Kyle

...waiting for someone to tell me what im thinking wrong

Last edited by Bake; 08-29-2002 at 08:26 AM..
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 12:46 PM   #25
induction
The Brit!

Thumbs down Import car drivers love this stuff !!

Bench Racing , what a fantastic pastime
Old 08-29-2002, 01:44 PM   #26
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Glad that was an easy fix dude. I always got stuff coming loose on my car.

Well the time i was talking about the car was at about 6200 and floating the valves when it went 90 in second. I usally try to shift at about 5800. It is actually pretty low after i have talk to alot of guys that race 428s though. Most of them will shift well into the 7000 rpm range, but those are 650-700 horsepower cars.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:43 PM   #27
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Default Re: correctness of speedo

Quote:
Originally posted by Bake
Also I have a 2000 V6 mustang, pretty much stock, it only has about 195hp and I have been about 135MPH, that was on my digital speedo that you can turn the odometer into, the needle was maxed. and i know my odometer is accurate, and the newed odometers from are only like 1-2MPH off at top speeds. and if my car that is pretty much the same weight with almost half the HP can go that fast. i believe sam's car can go that fast, even if he does have higher gears. those are just my thoughts tho...
Don't V-6's have a limiter at like 105-110? I doubt you had it up to 135, that's about where the GT pegs.

Ok lets say you DID get to 135, Sam still doesn't have the hp to push his car that fast, not with the 69 Mustang's aerodynamics. I think you and Sam are both over estimating the hp his car puts down. It's only good for about 230ish net flywheel hp. That's about 195ish rwhp.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 03:39 AM   #28
induction
The Brit!

Question Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bake

Also I have a 2000 V6 mustang, pretty much stock, it only has about 195hp and I have been about 135MPH, that was on my digital speedo that you can turn the odometer into, the needle was maxed. and i know my odometer is accurate,

-Kyle

...waiting for someone to tell me what im thinking wrong
Bake,
I didn't know that a DIGITAL speedo/odometer had a needle to max out But thats my fault since I drive a 65 and not a newer one ,[ Note to self Get up to date on ford parts]
Let me guess .. you took the limiter out of your V6 car right?

Sam,
Heres my Question .. Why would ANYONE in the world take 'ANY' car (or classic Mustang) with a un-inproved suspension, balljoint worn, cracked boot wearing, 30 odd yr old tie rod end sportin' rotted bushings, worn spring bouncing, DRUM to drum no breaking a@@, factory installed "slop-n-steering" linkage, Self lane changing , pothole seaking, fender mounted shock tower ripping, 3,500 lb car that the local shop works on, to those (attempted ) speeds on an unimproved 'non racing' surface and brag about it???
Hell if it was all new I wouldn't wanna take it there if I was paid to! And I have done some stupid things in the past.
Please , if you have the time could you give me a little insight?
I don't mean to insult you or your car at all, so don't be put off by this post. Just show me the light at the end of the tunnel.

Is safety an issue or does racing hondas, ect. worth more to you then life itself? Please man get the suspension worked out with the best stuff you can find ( not just afford) before you even attempt such a feat. And no , having new shocks and rear traction /slapper bars is not all it takes.

We don't wanna hear about you in the papers and where to send the flowers if you know what I mean .
But hey this is America so ..........to each his own.

Last edited by induction; 08-31-2002 at 12:37 AM..
Old 08-30-2002, 01:19 PM   #29
induction
The Brit!

Well?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:56 PM   #30
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Induction,

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Once again, how much horsepower do you have to put behind a "Brick" to make it go 140 mph????

Plus, old muscle cars don't do it.

Been there done that !!!!

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:54 PM   #31
PKRWUD

Default Re: Import car drivers love this stuff !!

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
Bench Racing , what a fantastic pastime
Oh yeah, well my bench has a turbo and nitrous (pics available).

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:33 AM   #32
induction
The Brit!

Default Re: Re: Import car drivers love this stuff !!

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Oh yeah, well my bench has a turbo and nitrous (pics available).

Take care,
~Chris
Oh yeah!! well mine has 20 inch 100 spoke DUBS and a piss load of "NO FAT CHICKS" stickers so I know i'll win dammit!
But I don't have any pic's .. and ... um.. well..it's my friends-little sisters- boyfriends- fathers- brothers -nephews -aunts - great grandfathers car that I once saw er.. ..drove at LeMans of Georgia back alley tavern next to a coffee shop near a truck stop in Nebraska on my way from Boston after a crossword puzzel tournament I swear and I can prove it too!.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:52 AM   #33
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: Re: Import car drivers love this stuff !!

Quote:
Oh yeah!! well mine has 20 inch 100 spoke DUBS and a piss load of "NO FAT CHICKS" stickers so I know i'll win dammit!
But I don't have any pic's .. and ... um.. well..it's my friends-little sisters- boyfriends- fathers- brothers -nephews -aunts - great grandfathers car that I once saw er.. ..drove at LeMans of Georgia back alley tavern next to a coffee shop near a truck stop in Nebraska on my way from Boston after a crossword puzzel tournament I swear and I can prove it too!.
Damn, you are good. I bow in your presence! (my bench will still kick your bench's butt, though!)

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:58 AM   #34
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Quote:
it's my friends-little sisters- boyfriends- fathers- brothers -nephews -aunts - great grandfathers car that I once saw er.. ..drove at LeMans of Georgia back alley tavern next to a coffee shop near a truck stop in Nebraska on my way from Boston after a crossword puzzel tournament
You dissin' Nebraska? You better BACK OFF! Haha....

Sam has very, very minor mods. An intake, of which kind I do not know, and what I assume to be is the original carb rebuilt, maybe a stock replacement. Either way, nothing that's going to increase power drastically at all. He's pushing probably about 300 Bhp (290 Bhp stock, figure in 33 years.... )....That's probably about 240 Net hp at the flywheel. He can't be making much more than 200 rwhp, if even that.

I believe that his speedo said 140, but I don't believe he was actually going 140. I guess we'll probably never know, but Sam, don't go out and do it again just to video it.

I had my Coupe up to about 115 and that was a crazy ride, I only did it once in the Coupe, and I'll never do it in the Fastback. Don't let a punk ricer instigate you to taking your car up anywhere near 140 in your car, just let him go, man. It's not worth risking your own and other peoples' lives. Be smart, bro.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 01:58 AM   #35
induction
The Brit!

Not a chance !! My dubs are made to go over 140 and not self destruct lol
Old 08-31-2002, 02:08 AM   #36
induction
The Brit!

You dissin' Nebraska? You better BACK OFF! Haha....

Nope not a chance remember ,I was only passing through on my way to Boston to pick you up because we needed a judge lolololololo
No , I wanted to get your attenion so you could give your imput on this subject( thats no joke ) I think he didn't wanna hear what I had to say so I was hoping someone else could help out so thank you . The kids gonna kill himself at this rate and thats just sad. Well that is if any of it is at all true.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:30 AM   #37
PKRWUD

I had a '77 Trans Am that I had installed a 160 MPH speedo in, and one night, while driving from Ventura to Santa Barbara, it reached 140. That was flat out scary. The long and winding freeway curves were flying by like I was racing on Mulholland Drive. That car was designed to go fast, but that was faster than it wanted to go. The really scary thing is that a week or two later, on the same journey, I had a rear tire blow-out while doing about 70 or 80. I almost died. If that had happened when I was doing 140, I certainly would have died.

Too risky for me to justify for any reason.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 03:05 AM   #38
PKRWUD

Quote:
Oh yeah???

Fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench1.jpg (65.5 KB, 15 views)
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 03:07 AM   #39
PKRWUD

Quote:
BTW, the speedo on my bench goes to 175!!!

LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench2.jpg (80.0 KB, 16 views)
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 07:05 AM   #40
Gearhead999
Registered Member

If the speedo goes that high, then the bench has to go that fast....Right ?????

Better get traction bars on that bench !!!

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote