MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
SCHOONER
Registered Member

Cool I Must Be Grounded ! ! !

Hi Everyone

A buddy of mine (knows just a little about car ~ more than me I might add)

Said to me, " You need to be well GROUNDED. You have to make sure that ALL the points of the car are GROUNDED."

O.K. " I'll go to my buddies on M/M/Boards and they'll help me out ~
GOD bless those guys.

PLEASE HELP GUYS ~ NICE A SIMPLY PLEASE

This I do know: Battery ground to engine ~ I'll check that and make sure I got a GOOD CONTACT

Now I'm in your hands.
WHAT WHERE & HOW: DO I CHECK WHERE THE OTHER MAIN GROUND SHOULD BE

Buddy said, " . . . Make sure FIRE WALL IS GROUNDED, I don't know where that spot is

GUYS; IS THERE A SPOT SOMEWHERE IN BACK OF THE ENGINE THAT HAS A GROUND ON IT ~ OR I SHOULD PUT A GROUND THERE
where ever that might be ~

O.K. guys the ball is in your court. TELL ME, SHOW ME.

AND I'LL GET UNDER THERE AND DO THE REST

BABY STEPS PLEASE

THANKS SO MUCH FELLAS

SCHOONER
SCHOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: I Must Be Grounded ! ! !

The two main grounds are from the battery to the engine... and from the engine to the firewall. It should be a metal strap or heavy gauged "battery" type wire that bolts from a bellhousing bolt to the firewall.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: I Must Be Grounded ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOONER
Buddy said, " . . . Make sure FIRE WALL IS GROUNDED, I don't know where that spot is

SCHOONER
Schooner, your battery ground goes to the engine block, the engine block is electrically isolated from the car chassis (sheet metal and frame) by the rubber motor mounts. Therefore you need to make sure the engine block is electrically connected to the rest of the car, and the best way to do that is to run a wire from the engine block to the firewall, the firewall being that big piece of sheetmetal that seperates the driver from the engine compartment. Like Phillyfanfrombirth said, make sure you use a good heavy guage wire, and also make sure you leave enough slack in that wire so the engine can move a little without jerking your wire loose. You should also scrape the paint or coating from the connection site, and use a star washer (they dig in a bit) so you end up with a good connection.

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote