MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-15-2001, 10:27 PM   #1
Mudinford
Registered Member

Post 4 Wheel Disc brake conversion for a '67 'Tang

Help'n a buddy restore/rebuild his '67 Mustang and he wants to know of any kits to convert his Drum brakes into disc brakes. I really have no clue due to the fact my area is trucks and would have no where to start looking. If any have any info on mid-range priced kits for F and R (9") we would be appreciative. Thanks for all of the help in advance!
Dan "mudinford" MacDonald

------------------
Dan "Mudinford" MacDonald

Rather be pushing a Ford than drive a chevy

Like a rock....in water.
Mudinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 10:52 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

You can do a junkyard '75-78 Granada front disc conversion on the cheap, but who knows what quality parts you're gonna get and what all you'll need to replace/repair things outright.

Stainless Steel Brakes has kits for $1000 as does Master Power brakes for about the same price.

I got my kit from Jim's Mustang in El Cajon Ca. with non power for $650 to my door in Houston, all new parts except spindles.

With a '67, you can probably get power for a little more. Mine is a Granada single piston caliper front only kit, but works well. I had to make a rear stop for my brake pedal arm-push rod as it would be possible to pull the rod out of the master cylinder the way it came (ouch). E-mail me on that for further explanation.

You did say 4 wheel disc brakes. With a 9", you could look for a Lincoln Versailles rear disc brake axle, but then you'd just have to convert that to the axle ratio you want. I think Currie in Cali. can fix you up there with a 9" for a price with disc brakes.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-16-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 09:14 AM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

There is a guy on E-bay right now that is selling brackets for a rear disc. set-up.
From what I can tell, the brackets bolt onto your rear end and allow you to get everything else you need from a local parts shop. I am thinking about getting them for my 8" rear. After a bit more research on this swap. JUst go to e-bay and do a search on "mustang brakes"

------------------
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:49 PM   #4
Mudinford
Registered Member

GUYS...THANKS MUCH FOR THE INFO! This guy i am working with is doing it right so we might just go with new. I am really not into spending the day scrounging through a yard for a car/axle that might not even be there....but you never know...might brake down....it does have a 9" already. So i am sure their are plenty of kits for it....thanks again...and if you have any direct contacts to the suppliers above that would be great! Now on to e-Bay!!

------------------
Dan "Mudinford" MacDonald

Rather be pushing a Ford than drive a chevy

Like a rock....in water.
Mudinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 10:19 PM   #5
gp001
Registered Member

You might want to try Mark Jeffrey at Trans Am Racing. He makes a GREAT dual/power master cylinder setup. He also is a dealer for SSB and others. You can e-mail him at taracing@earthlink.net
He also advertises in the Mustang mags (and is even featured in the mags with his car).

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284, TFS TW heads, Stealth, 750 Holley, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4 (Soon to be a Richmond 6 spd), Currie 9" w/3.50, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc, 17x8 Torqthrust II's
Something up my sleeve
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote