MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default I need some advice/help.

I had a 1990 notchback that I found alot of bondo on so I sold it. I had plans of finding another Fox body but have decided to get a first gen Mustang.

I have a sweet F.I. 331 stroker that should put out about 475 flywheel HP and a good 5 speed tranny I will use and I am pretty sure I want a Ford 9 inch rear.

I want to upgrade the suspension/steering and put cobra brakes all the way around before even messing with installing my engine/tranny.

I would like to buy the suspension as a complete kit and the brakes as a complete kit.

This car will see ocassional trips to the drag strip but will be a cruiser for the most part. I want good- excellent handling with big brakes and a low stance.

Considering everything will be changed it doesnt matter if I get a V6 or a V8 car correct??? Any advice on what year or body style to get or where to find parts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dark_5.0; 10-21-2007 at 02:12 PM..
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: I need some advice/help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0 View Post
I had a 1990 notchback that I found alot of bondo on so I sold it. I had plans of finding another Fox body but have decided to get a first gen Mustang.

I have a sweet F.I. 331 stroker that should put out about 475 flywheel HP and a good 5 speed tranny I will use and I am pretty sure I want a Ford 9 inch rear.

I want to upgrade the suspension/steering and put cobra brakes all the way around before even messing with installing my engine/tranny.

I would like to buy the suspension as a complete kit and the brakes as a complete kit.

This car will see ocassional trips to the drag strip but will be a cruiser for the most part. I want good- excellent handling with big brakes and a low stance.

Considering everything will be changed it doesnt matter if I get a V6 or a V8 car correct??? Any advice on what year or body style to get or where to find parts would be greatly appreciated.
First off, good choice! Have you decided between a coupe or a fastback? Obviously, coupes are cheaper, so you can throw more cash at the other stuff, but some just gotta have that fastback. (Cant argue either!) IMO if you going with a coupe, get a 65-68, fastback 65-70. The 67 and up mustangs have the advantage of more engine room (could come with a BB from the factory) a dual master cylinder, and the ability to run a dual MC and power brakes. I guess I would recommend the 67 if your going with a coupe, since you can run a power dual MC and it doesnt have the side marker lights (smoother). A 69/70 if your going with a FB. A downside to the 69/70 is that parts seem to be more expensive for them.
I actually cant recall others using Cobra discs on their classic mustangs, so I googled it, and sure enough there is a company that offers a conversion kit. Vintage Venom is their name, and their prices seem quite cheap. I've never used them, or even heard of them for the matter, so you probably want to use caution if you go that route. Anything is possible, I saw a mustang at a car show awhile ago with corvette discs, and yes, I did take a picture, haha.
Did you want to do a bolt in suspension or something more? I just recently bought a Mustang II front suspension for my 65, which I will be installing this winter. Once Im done with that I can let you know what I think about it, though the earliest it will be on the road will be next summer. Other than that I've only used some grab-a-trac springs, so I really cant comment much on good suspension systems.
I dont think you really have to worry about if you get a I6 or v8 car, unless you dont want to change the spindles and whatnot. If you can get a v8 car, but I wouldnt sweat it too much if your ripping it all out anyways. The v8 stuff does sell much better though
Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Btw, I get most of my parts from Mustangs Plus, Dallas Mustang, and NPD.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
First off, good choice! Have you decided between a coupe or a fastback? Obviously, coupes are cheaper, so you can throw more cash at the other stuff, but some just gotta have that fastback. (Cant argue either!) IMO if you going with a coupe, get a 65-68, fastback 65-70. The 67 and up mustangs have the advantage of more engine room (could come with a BB from the factory) a dual master cylinder, and the ability to run a dual MC and power brakes. I guess I would recommend the 67 if your going with a coupe, since you can run a power dual MC and it doesnt have the side marker lights (smoother). A 69/70 if your going with a FB. A downside to the 69/70 is that parts seem to be more expensive for them.
I actually cant recall others using Cobra discs on their classic mustangs, so I googled it, and sure enough there is a company that offers a conversion kit. Vintage Venom is their name, and their prices seem quite cheap. I've never used them, or even heard of them for the matter, so you probably want to use caution if you go that route. Anything is possible, I saw a mustang at a car show awhile ago with corvette discs, and yes, I did take a picture, haha.
Did you want to do a bolt in suspension or something more? I just recently bought a Mustang II front suspension for my 65, which I will be installing this winter. Once Im done with that I can let you know what I think about it, though the earliest it will be on the road will be next summer. Other than that I've only used some grab-a-trac springs, so I really cant comment much on good suspension systems.
I dont think you really have to worry about if you get a I6 or v8 car, unless you dont want to change the spindles and whatnot. If you can get a v8 car, but I wouldnt sweat it too much if your ripping it all out anyways. The v8 stuff does sell much better though
Man lots of excellent info!!!!!!!

I like the coupes and the fastbacks so I will will probably end up with a coupe just cause they are cheaper like you said. I now know I want a 1967 or up coupe.

I would like a bolt in suspension kit and I will give that cobra brake kit a shot.

Thanks man now I have a starting point.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Wow I am having alot of troublefinding a decent 67-68 mustang. I found one that was a total POS they wanted $7,250.00 for it and it was a V6 coupe!!!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

Had to be a I6, they didnt come with v6's. Yeah, there are alot of people off their rocker as to the worth of these cars, just because they are old doesnt automatically mean they are rare. Have you tried craigslist.com? Keep looking, you'll find a deal!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
Had to be a I6, they didnt come with v6's. Yeah, there are alot of people off their rocker as to the worth of these cars, just because they are old doesnt automatically mean they are rare. Have you tried craigslist.com? Keep looking, you'll find a deal!
Yeah it was an I6 I am just used to sayaing V6

I am still looking and getting more and more frustrated.