MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2000, 01:35 PM   #1
70Stang302
Registered Member

Post I need Suggestions

I work with somebody that has a late model camaro 350 that supposedly is the fastest car in the valley. I just bought my stock 70 Mustang w/302. I want to smoke him to next tuesday but I can't think of anything that I can do other than gear changes. Any Suggestions?

------------------
Marshall Carpenter

Cobra@mathewz-world.zzn.com
70Stang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2000, 06:24 PM   #2
make7UPYOURS

youre kidding, right? the wasnt a stock built mustang in 1970 with a 302 that could outrun a new camaro. even if you got a boss he'll give you a hard time with a 6 cyl. you wont beat him next week and you dont have the time between now and then to make your car beat his. im not trying to be obtuse but im going to be real. you'll need more than rear end gears changed, and everyone in here can probably help you build your 302 to smoke his car badly, but you have to tell us what exactly you have first. is it a 2/4 barrel?automatic/stick?coupe/fastback? what gears are in it? most important....are you willing to spend the time and money it will take to beat some geek you work with? tell him to bring his car to the track, let a few other people chew on him while you watch.

------------------
67stang coupe, carb on 5.0, 4 speed, 4.11's....8.41 @ 83mph in 1/8 wanting 7's
Old 10-10-2000, 07:01 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

In general it is true: speed=$$$$$.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2000, 10:55 PM   #4
70Stang302
Registered Member

You're right...more info is the only way to get answers. It is completely stock 302, I will be getting a 750 double pumper installed, it has 3.56:1 gears, automatic transmission with B&M stage 2 shift on it. It is a coupe. I am willing to spend time and money to be the fastest in the area, even if it means getting acquanted with the police. Although, I am sure there are cars on the strip that could eat this camaro up, it is street legal. I know I can get plenty of horses out of this 302, even enough to kill the camaro, I just don't know which way is better for an older engine, superchargers? Engine blowers? Turbocharging? NITROUS?!?!! I don't want to kill my car but I want it to be fast. I know it definetly won't be stock when I am done with it, and I know that newer (there is no such thing as a new camaro, they stopped production in '99) camaros are fast even 6 bangers. This means nothing to me. I have smoked Z28's with a little neon so there are a lot of stock fast cars out there. I just want to know what I need to have done to eat this camaro. I know it can be done.

------------------
Marshall Carpenter

Cobra@mathewz-world.zzn.com
70Stang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 06:02 PM   #5
red
Registered Member

Talking

Read through this post by Skyman and Rev it should give you an idea of what certain cam/heads/exaust/ignition mods to make and the Horses you can expect out of these mods.

A 750 carb on a stock 302 will not help. Even a healthy (>300HP) 302 is fine with a 600. Anyone disagree?

-JON

[This message has been edited by red (edited 10-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by red (edited 10-11-2000).]
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 06:19 PM   #6
make7UPYOURS

yeah 600 is fine, 650 max, 750 is way too much. automatic trans doesnt do well with "double pumper" manual secondaries so stay with vacuum secondary carbs. my combo is capable of spanking all factory z28's. its a 1990 5.0 h.o. stock long block with a holley 650, performer rpm intake, hooker 1 5/8 primary long tube headers, 2 chamber 2 1/2 flowmasters. you would do better with a 600 to 625 cfm carb and about 3000 stall converter in the c-4. your gears are fine, but needs to be a posi rear. biggest thing....get into reading mags like car craft...mm&ff....hot rod...mustang monthly....super ford...etc. find a street/strip combination you like and go for it. if you want to be as fast as so&so, build drivetrain your car exactly like his. another thing, make mustang friends. talk to people who like to race their stangs and ask a lot of questions.

------------------
67stang coupe, carb on 5.0, 4 speed, 4.11's....8.41 @ 83mph in 1/8 wanting 7's
Old 10-11-2000, 10:59 PM   #7
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Do you want to build this much power in an old 302? To beat a modern LT1 or LS1 you will need a well built 302 which in my opinion meens starting from the ground up with a good rebuild. Now, if you are going to go to that work, why not gain the extra cubic inches and start with a 351. Lots of aftermarket parts out there will really bring a windsor to life. It will cost you and isn't going to happen overnight. Next thing remeber you are making it go fast, make it stop fast and handle too or you may just lose it.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2000, 06:49 PM   #8
66fastback
Registered Member

These guys are right. I REALLY have to agree with Thunderbolt here...start with a rebuild--or more engine.

NO MATTER WHO YOU LISTEN TO--BUY PARTS THAT MATCH. You'll run smoother faster and longer with matching parts. Go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM kit or a Holley Systemmax....something like that.

BTW...dump the 750 unless your planning on 8000 rpm or something rediculous...and get the car to hook up.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: