MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #1
66mustanger
Registered Member

Question Idler Arm Help!!

I recently purchased a complete rebuild kit for my suspension and steering. Yesterday I started the assembly process. I have 2 ?'s. How do I adjust,or set, the dimensions on my upper control arm shafts, what do I measure from? My book that I have is very unclear on it! Do I center the shaft in the exact center of the arm making it even between the center of the bolt holes to the base of the arm itself? Now for ? 2, My new Idler arm came with the sleeve in it, and it wont fit onto the Idler holder that i bolted to the frame. Am I suppose to cut the sleeve off the Idler holder or take the sleeve out of the Idler arm itself? It looks as though the sleeve on the Idler holder is molded or made to it. If i cut it, it may not be a good Idea, but on the other hand, Id hate to force the sleeve out of the Idler arm. Im afraid of messing up the rubber bushings in it! Any advice Id greatly appreciate it. This nick and cranny stuff is holding me up from driving this year. Its to beautiful outside to let it sit in the garage! Oh I cant stand it! HHHHHHHEEELLLLPPP!!!
Thanks,
Larry of Mason, Ohio
Support our troops and Country!
God Bless America

Last edited by 66mustanger; 05-17-2004 at 08:15 AM..
66mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

This link may help answer your first question. Scroll down page to "Suspension" section. Good luck.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/MustangSteveFAQ.html
Old 05-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Sleeve?

Doesn't the new idler arm have a sleeve built into it that should go onto the existing fixture bolted to the unibody? That fixture looks kind of like a spindle that the sleeve fits over?

I haven't done this in 5 years or so, but that's how I seem to remember it. If that's correct, I would just use some WD-40 and maybe Vise Grips to rotate the old sleeve until it loosens on the spindle fixture until you can get it off. Sounds like it's just stuck to me. That's assuming that the the new idler arm has the new sleeve built in as I remember.

If all that seems correct, then after you get the old sleeve off just clean off the spindle with a wire brush, solvent, maybe emery paper and slide the new part on and bolt it up. At least, that's how I remeber it when I did mine some time ago.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote