MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Blue68Coupe
68 Coupe 289

Question Ignition electrical problems

OK, here is a weird problem that I am scratching my head over.

With the key in start there is not spark. Tested with a timing light and volt meter.

With the key in On I have spark and electricity. In fact if I catch it right the car will start when I let off of start to go to On

I know something is shorting out but I can't find it. When turning the key to start I feel a shock if I touch metal. I am actually using that to test it.

I get the same shock with the regulator disconnected and the starter disconnected. The key cylinder is about 2 years old and the alternator is about a year old. Tried 2 different coils and still no luck.

Any help would be great.

Blue68Coupe
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Ignition electrical problems

If you would like them bigger shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll gladly send you them, though they are only slightly larger. I actually have these printed off. I wouldnt imagine the wiring changed too much between 65/67, but I could be wrong.
Using that diagram I would check your red/blue wiring running from the ignition switch to your starter relay. I believe that is the one running to the "start" on the ignition switch. Anyway best of luck let us know how it goes.

Last edited by bmxmon; 07-31-2008 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: switching pictures around
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Blue68Coupe
68 Coupe 289

Talking Re: Ignition electrical problems

Ahhh... I found it.

It turned out to be the starter solenoid. It was strange because the solenoid engaged and the starter turned but it was drawing too much power from the coil to start the car. Everything kept pointing to it except that the starter was turning so I replaced it and she started up like she had been waiting for weeks to roar again.

Oh wait, she was.

Thanks for the diagrams.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Ignition electrical problems

Glad to hear you got her running again! I wish mine wasnt in thousands of pieces Enjoy yours!