MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2001, 09:19 AM   #1
Kendall67
Registered Member

Angry Ignition help

I have a 67 fastback w/ 302. The distributor that I have is a dual point mechanical advance unit but I am unsure of the brand. I think it is a Mallory but the ID tag is not readable. The points that are installed are Blue Streak MY-201XP. What I am actually trying to accomplish is to convert over to a Pertronix Ignitor unit but I obviously need the correct distributor model to do that. Can Anyone give me a hand? Any cross reference on the Blue Streak points? Thanks.

Kendall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Jaydee
Registered Member

Your going to need to know the part number of your distributor to see if Pertronix has a unit that matches up. They list seven different part numbers for Mallory distributors in their catalog and odds are one of them is correct. If not, you could always throw in a good stock unit and do the conversion. BTW, yanking out the old dual points and putting the Pertronix in my 65 HiPo was by far the best 60 bucks I've spent on the car. The improvement in starting, ide and driveability is unbeleivable. The car actually fires up faster than my FI 5.0.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 02:19 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I agree with Jaydee. My 66 6 banger is by no means a racer but the Pertronix just makes it purr. Give Pertronix a call and give as much info as possible and they might be able to help you. I'm sure you're not the first person that has an unidentifiable dist. so they can probably point you in the right direction.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #4
Brian Browning
Registered Member

I'm glad to hear the good words since I'll be installing mine in a couple of hours. When I ordered mine from NPD, all they wanted to know was 6 or 8 cylinders, single or dual points. Is there something different if you don't have a stock distributor?
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 05:22 PM   #5
Kendall67
Registered Member

Talking

I was finally able to figure out which Mallory distributor that I had. Thanks for the replys. Yeah, I really like the Pertronix unit. I have had 2 others and they work great. I didn't want to use Mallorys own unit since I have heard bad things about them and they are $30 more. Also there are lots of different Pertronix models for other (non-stock, non-Ford) applications. Have fun.
Kendall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:16 PM   #6
Jaydee
Registered Member

Pertronix also lists several different part numbers for Accel and Mallory distributors These part numbers are different from those shown for a stock dist. For Fords,the only real diferences seem to be for single or dual points and vac. or mechanical advance. BTW, I also installed one of their coils and a new set of plug wires to complete the installation. Not a bad idea if the stuff on your car has some time and miles on them. Also (as he rambles on), I've asked some questions about the possibility of opening up plug gaps after installing the igniter, but the general consensis seems to be to leave the plugs at stock gap or opened up no more than another .002 or .003 at most as this unit does not create the additional spark energy of an MSD type system.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote