MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2000, 09:08 AM   #1
tom351

Question Ignition Problem

I have a 67 fastback and my ignition cuts the car off randomly. It happens maybe once every 20 minutes of driving roughly. I used to have a unilite, but I recently switched to petronix. So I don't think the trigger is the problem. I have also tried new a new coil. It only seem to happen after the engine is warmed up. Any Ideas??

67 Fastback. Arctic White Pearl Paint
351W w/Trick Flow Aluminum Heads C4 trans
Edelbrock Torker II intake. Competition Cam
Front Disc Brakes. 1-1/8" front 3/4" rear sway bars. Torque Thrust Wheels.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:01 AM   #2
Elvis
Registered Member

Could be a number of things. I had a similar problem on my '67 last year and it turned out that the wire to the ignition switch was frayed. The frayed wire would heat up and then cut out. It was a 30 cent fix to a problem that drove me nuts for 3 months. Good luck. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2000, 07:43 AM   #3
Brian Browning
Registered Member

I spent a few months trying to figure out a similar problem on an old Harley Sportster a few years ago. After replacing the coil, wires, points etc. with no luck I found that one of the wires to the coil had an eye in the end that was crimped on. When the motor heated up that caused the crimped part of this eelet to expand just enough to break contact and kill the motor. After setting about 5 minutes it would fire right back up. Once I squeezed the wire a litle more, problem solved. Good luck...
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 04:27 PM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

when i had this problem the wire from the coil to the distributer was bad. So i went out and got a new set of wires and problem was solved

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote