MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-2000, 05:54 PM   #1
Modified
Registered Member

Question ignition problems

I recently got a 65 Stang 6 cyl. w/air, auto. The car has been sitting for several years. I got a new battery, starter rebuilt, new points(gap .018), condenser, new cap, rotor, regulator. I am not getting any spark from the coil. The old coil was marked dist. and battery. The new one is marked "+" and "-". I hooked a test light to the wire running to the ignition and it was hot, so I hooked that one to positive and the dist. wire to neg. The motor cranks fine, but no spark. I am at my wits end..please help

Thanks,
Brian
Modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 07:33 AM   #2
driggins
Registered Member

Exclamation

Check the gounding cable from the fire wall to the block. and check the starter silonoid. sorry for the spelling
driggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 08:58 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Brian,
You said the car was sitting a few years, was it running before all this work? You also said that you were getting power to the coil, now make sure your getting a good ground threw the points. Check that the wire connecting the points is not touching anything to ground it out, if it is then you will not get the spark to the gap of the points.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe

[This message has been edited by Clark Rodgers (edited 05-08-2000).]
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 11:03 AM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Once you get everything squared away you might want to think about upgrading to a Pertronix ignition system. I have one installed on my 66 200 and it works great. They are getting very cheap and eliminate the hassle of points and all that crap. Mine has never given my any problems

Just my 2 cents.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2000, 05:04 PM   #5
Modified
Registered Member

Unhappy

In my orginal post I meant to say I replaced the solenoid on pass. firewall, not the regulator. I double checked the points, everything appears normal. The points have three wires that hook to it, one for condenser, one for coil, and I'm not sure where the other one goes. I turned the key to the on position and I am NOT getting any power to the points. Is this normal? The car was running before it was abondoned in the barn. What is the thing mounted on the drivers side radiator support? I'm thinking maybe they gave me the wrong coil and I'm going to change it out tomorrow. Also the only ground wire for the motor is the one that runs from the starter.

Thanks again guys,
Brian

[This message has been edited by Modified (edited 05-08-2000).]
Old 05-09-2000, 07:01 AM   #6
driggins
Registered Member

Wink

That box beside the radiator is the Voltage Regulator. If no one can tell you where the other wire goes I will check in my wire diagram to night after work and post it.
driggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 08:39 AM   #7
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Modified it is not normal to have no voltage at the points with the key on. I only have my 69 wiring diagram and it only shows two wires hooked up to the points. Hopefully driggins can help you more but you can visit this web site to get a diagram. www.wabba.net/resources.html
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 09:58 AM   #8
Modified
Registered Member

Talking

Clark,

You are the MAN!!!! I pulled up the wiring diagram and found that a wire that I had connected to the points should have been grounded. I switched it and it fired up right away. Thanks everybody for your input.

Brian