MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2002, 03:01 AM   #1
PonyCrazyGal
Registered Member

Default Ignition would not turn off!

Last night I started my car and the ignition did not turn off. I hopped out of the car, took the key out and it keep going. I had to open the trunk to get to the battery. Before I could diconnect it the battery died. I think the cylinder is burnt. I need help b/c my dad and I built this car and he passed away a year ago so I am not sure where to start looking for the problem. It is a 1968 mustang with a 351W and it has the MSD ignition system set up. The problem could be in that, but it was all recently replaced. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2002, 03:20 AM   #2
66StangGuy
Registered Member

by ignition staying on do you mean that the starter kept going? if its that did the key stick or did it bounce back to ON where it should be? if it went back to on then it could be either your starter sylaniod (sorry cant spell it) or your ignition switch.. meaning the assembly where you put the key in to start the car.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:23 AM   #3
PonyCrazyGal
Registered Member

Yes, the starter kept going. It seemed that it kept going before I had cranked the car. I turned the key, and the car turned on quicker than usual, and the starter kept going. I turned the key to the neutral position and took it out and the starter was still on. Is the cylanoid what connects to the msd box? Then that is connected to the round msd coil. I think that could be where the problem is. I know it is burnt out now.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:41 AM   #4
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Talking

the solenoid is where the + side of the battery cable goes... it probably stuck... by the time you got it shut off, it probably melted the wires.... should be an easy fix... I can send a pic if you want of it..

68 stangs rock
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
PonyCrazyGal
Registered Member

I know what you are talking about and that seems to make sense. If you could send me a picture that would be great. I have fixed this stuff before but it is been awhile.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:15 PM   #6
Dark Knight
Registered Member

on the way ;-)
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #7
PonyCrazyGal
Registered Member

I am so excited the car is home and safe!! I got a new solenoid and replaced it. I pulled the starter and checked it. Thankfully the starter looked fine. I hooked some jumper cables up to my truck and started the car right up. It sounds just fine. You have no idea how thankful I am. Thank you so much for your help!!