MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
Moonstang
Moon Equepted

Default I'm an idiot. Please help.

So I'm triming away the new manifold gaskit from the water ports on the drivers side head and I droped a good size piece of material down the rear water port. Shaped like a 3/4" square donut. (go ahead, laugh if you must. I did) My question is can I get it out w/out removing the head. The only flow chart I can find is pretty basic. I'm wondering 1) can I put a water or air hose in the front port and possibly blow it back out the rear port. Or 2) hook a water hose up to the water pump, remove the thermostat, start the car, turn on the water and see if I can push it through the manifold and out the water neck. The rear port is blocked when the manifold is in place so i'd have to hope that it gets dislodged and pushed forward and across/through the manifold. Does anybody know the size of the water passage ways through the head. Could it be that it's big enough to just hang out in the back of the head. If it can't be got what could it do if left inside? my guess is that it will slowly breakdown and end up blocking my thrmostat. Which I would think would be detected by the heat sender. Here's the flow chart I have. Any thoughts or ideas would be great Thanx

MoonStang

[IMG][/IMG]
Moonstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm an idiot. Please help.

Have you tried with a bright light and mechanical fingers to fish it out??

I really don't think it would hurt anything if you left it in there. It will get stuck in the head somewhere. Most likely not far from where you dropped it.

If I couldn't find it, I'd leave it there. The hot coolant with make it soft and mushy and it will just find itself a home. No harm done.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Moonstang
Moon Equepted

Thanx for putting my mind to rest. I'll go to Kragen and get some mech fingers. I don't think I'll get the piece but if I don't try I'll always be thinking about it. Thanx for your input. On a side note I wish I'd done a bit more home work and bought a manifold with a rear water crossover. Seems silly not to use them. Oh well, maybe when I get around to building a new 302.

thanx again

MoonStang
Old 11-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
Moonstang
Moon Equepted

After inspecting the bottom of the old manifold (my god is that thing heavy) it looks like whoever put the last set of gaskits on didn't bother to trim the rear ports. Drivers side still intact, other side missing with evedence of gunk and mush. I believe you're right 999 it will find a home. Now that I think about it I'll pull out the old thermostat and take a look. My car always seemed to run a lil' hot. The gauge sits right on the P of TEMP. Eventually I'll get one of those bolt on temp gauges for the heat sender.

MoonStang