MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
1tuff66
Registered Member

Red face I'm Stumped--Engine trouble

Hey all, just the other day my engine died and I have no idea why. Here is what happened. I was driving down the road doing about 50-55 mph when all throttle response droped out. There was no other noise than just my engine running, but of course slowing down. I tried to press the gas in but nothing happened, and the engine kept running. Eventually becuase I could not speed up or even rev the engine, the motor's rpms slowed down and the engine died. I haven't been able to start it since. Also, what makes me think that it is a big problem is that I can put it in a gear (say 2nd) and push it forward and backward. Whenever I turn the engine over, it shows no sign of even wanting to start. I think that the crank might have snapped, but I don't think that it would be running with no throttle response then. The carb was just rebuilt so that isn't the prob (wouldn't explain the pushing it back in forth in gear either...). I am losing my mind!!! Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way - Because I know I will more than likely need it, where is the best economy rebuild kit for a 289? crank kit?

--Thanks
1tuff66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

Things to check are:

1. Do you have spark?
2. Do you have fuel?
3. Do you have compression?

Checking these can narrow down your problem. A simple electrical or fuel problem is far more likely to have happened than a broken crankshaft.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Wow, sounds like two problems. Your trans being smoked came to mind first. If its rolling in gear.

Any smells when it happened? Burn't clutch? Oil? ETC? Smoke from tailpipe?

If you engine is turning over but wont catch, check what Jeff said.

Best rebuild kit for a 289 is putting a 302 in it. Put the 289 up if you want to ever sell your car. That is, if the 289 came in the car. But honestly Id just go with a 302, lotsa parts availible.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
Sknight579
Registered Member

things that I think might be worng:

-Spark Plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Distributor

this happened to be once in a Ford truck, the distributor had water in it :-/ (we had just got it running after it was in a flood)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default fuel or ignition loss

Sounds like to me either no fuel (pump failure or clogged filter) or loss of ignition spark (ignition sysem). Sounds doubtful to me that the engine actually kept running. May have kept turning from vehicle momentum through the transmission?

Check what jeff65 said earlier. If the timings right, and you have fuel, compression, and spark, then you should have ignition in some form or fashion (even a backfire) when you try to start it.

When you find out where the failure is, then go from there.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

definately check the small things first....then if they are all good and it ends up being something more major (doubtful), then you can go the best route for a rebuild.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #7
1tuff66
Registered Member

Hey thanks for all of the suggestions. I will give it a closer look this weekend and update you all. I am confused about the ignition and fuel theory though. If this were the case, why would I be able to push my car back and forth while in gear?

mustangII460,
There was no strange noises or smells when it happened. Oil level is still good, and as for smoke...I can't tell you, it happend on the back roads at approximately midnight.

--Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2004, 05:59 AM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

does the transmission feel like it shifts properly? Can u shift it thru the gears as it sits parked?
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Jeff65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1tuff66
[BIf this were the case, why would I be able to push my car back and forth while in gear?
--Thanks again! [/B]
Uuhhh...Pushing the car in gear with no ignition, or no fuel, no compression proves nothing. You have to have these things present for the engine to fire off...else it simply goes round and round and does zip...as you already know.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

definately check the little things like state of tune and such. one thing to check though is timing chain. pull the dist cap and turnt he crank in one direction untill the rotor starts to move. then turn the crank in the opposite direction again untill the rotor starts to move. you should only need to turn the crank a couple of degrees. if you turn it more than that then the timing chain is worn and could be a big part of your problem.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
1tuff66
Registered Member

Timing chain is good. I just replaced it not more then 150 miles ago. Everything is tight. Could this possibly be a head gasket?

rwhite65,
Yes you can shift through the gears when it is parked. Feels just like it did before it happened.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #12
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

run a compression check and see what each cylinder is doing.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
CobraII76
Registered Member

All of the above and check the gound strap. I know it sounds strange but I've actually had the ground strap come apart the engine would crank but I would get no fire. Died on the freeway about the same way. As for the pushing it in gear how far can you push it? a few inches? feet? miles? Few inches in pretty normal. Anything beyond that I would be worried about the tranny being smoked. Broken crank you would have heard it would have been a violent death atleast mine was you would have had some sort of internal explosion something very noticable thats for sure. As for 289 rebuild kits Northern Auto Parts is a great place to deal with. and just about everything from a 302 fits a 289 so there are just as many parts choices.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #14
1tuff66
Registered Member

Thank you all for your help. I went to the garage this weekend (doesn't happen very often since I am in college) and started to check everything that was mentioned. Unfortunately, I live in WI and my fingers soon started to stick to everything metal. I had to give it up before I died of hypothermia. Looks like this will be a summer job. I will probably get better compression measurements anyway when the temp climbs to the positive numbers again. Thanks for everyone's help and I will keep you posted when it becomes warm again.