MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-01-2001, 12:50 PM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Question 68 Headliner Advice

After removing my old headliner in my 68 coupe, I'm now 95% sure I'll try installing the new one myself instead of paying someone $75 to do it. Unless I'm missing something it appears after I glue in new insulation, the headliner itself is only held in by 4 long rods and then pulled tight and glued in around the 4 sides. My question is - is the headliner supposed to be glued to the insulation? My old one wasn't. Looks like the rods, once swivelled upright hold it tight, along with being glued behind the front and rear glass and sides.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 01:18 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

The headliner is suppose to go in "without" the windshield and rear glass in the car. It is suppose to wrap around the pinch weld area where the rubber moulding goes. It is glued there first, then pulled on each side glued and the "U" shaped push on trim installed.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 01:09 PM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

Yes, my front and rear glass is out of the car, and I saw where it was glued behind the glass and pinch welds on the sides. But, is the top of the headliner glued to the insulation? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2001, 03:40 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Nope, glued to roof panel on the inside.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:35 PM   #5
Kisner
Registered Member

I have to show more of my ignorance. But, exactly what do you mean by roof panel? When I took the old one out, the only places it was glued in was around the pinch weld under the front and rear glass and around the pinch weld on the sides. The entire roof had old insulation glued to it but the headliner itself was only supported by the 4 metal rods. Do you mean there shouldn't be any insulation and the headliner glues to the roof? Just want to ensure I know what I'm doing before I tackle this project. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:47 AM   #6
stretchx1
Registered Member

Thumbs down

forget it if it is just $75 i'd have them do it you get it in thy will steem it and get it tight
stretchx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 07:07 AM   #7
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The insulation is glued to the inside of the roof panel only, not the headliner.

The headliner is only glued front, rear and sides. The bows hold up the center. Then you use some steam and get the wrinkles out.

Heck I agree for $75 get a pro to do it. He does know how to do it, doesn't he. Have you seen any of his work??
Old 09-03-2001, 11:17 AM   #8
Kisner
Registered Member

Nope, haven't seen any of their work yet - just the sign that they specialize and install headliners for $75. For that matter, they might do it cheaper since I already have the headliner. With the kind of luck I have (that is if it's supposed to be a 1 hour job - it'll take me 10!), I guess I should play it safe and have the professionals do it. Just trying to maximize the dollars as much as I can by doing as much as I can. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:55 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

Hey Kisner, despite its somewhat simple appearance, the headliner install is one of the trickier resto jobs to do. If you have never done it before the best way to do learn it is to try and do it. However, be prepared to screw it up a few times and possibly have to start completly over. If you would rather maximize $$ value I would go have it done by a pro. Ask them if you can watch them do it. Some shops don't mind at all because it helps their rep if the customer can see they don't cut corners.

Either way, good luck.

Power
Power is offline   Reply With Quote