MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
FASTBACK66
Registered Member

Default Help!!

Have a 66 mustang in which when using the turn signals the other day, i got smoke from behind the steering wheel. I replaced the signal switch and the wiring from the switch through the column and into the plug under dash. Smoke incident repeated one time after replaceing the wiring and switch but signals were still inop and now there is no smoke or signals when lever is moved. Any ideas or similar experiences????? Thanks
FASTBACK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Sounds like theres a short in the wiring thats grounding the switch in the colum, and burning it out. I had a similar incident working on my gauges in my car. (still trying to get them fixed). I wish I had more exp with wiring, I'd try to walk you through the troubleshooting.
What I can tell you is that the general method you should use would be to isolate each part of the system, and test them individually, looking for a break/drop in the power. The actual method of testing varies depending on the part.
Also, it would be a good idea to start by tracing the routing and just look for any physical damage to the wires.
Hopefully one of the more experienced folks here will be able to tell you more.

J

BTW Welcome to MW!
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
FASTBACK66
Registered Member

Thanks, another guy told me the repro. switches have rivets on the back of them that are famous for making contact with the column and shorting to ground. Said he went through 3 switches before figuring it out. Elec. tape on back of rivets solves problem. Gonna order another switch and give it a try.
Thanks for the reply.
FASTBACK66 is offline   Reply With Quote