MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2001, 03:40 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Angry Word of Advice, Never store for long periods.

I just recently got my 64 1/2 with the 289 back on the road.

It had charging Problems, and me and Tim C worked on it for the longest time. It made no sense. Anyway I got sick of Generators and messing with it so I stored it. After about 6-7 months I decided to pull it out and convert it to an Alternator.

The car before used to run like a damn Scorched APE. It would run Hard and be a tough competitor on the streets.

Well, now the thing runs so inconsistant that one minute, TIM C and Ralph are having trouble keeping up with me, then the next minute I get out run by someone pumping gas in there car or a Volkswagon Bug running on 1/2 a cylinder.

One second, the cars running clean, then next thing its pouring all kinds of unspent gas out behind me. WIth people passing out from fumes and running into busses full of nuns and stuff.

I need to rebuild that damn carburator again. I did it like 2 years ago, but the combination heat and storage really took a tool on all the diaghrams. Wires get old and brittle, and all kinds of annouying crap goes WRONG.

Maybe I should find out wich one of the three marks on the dampner is Top dead center also, then I could set my timing and hook up my Vacum advance.

One thing that amazes me though is how strong that car will run sometimes for bieng a power robbing auto, and so out of tune. I cant wait to tune it up and put a T5 in it. My plan is to have a T5, and a new exhaust with headers in a year. Arggghhhhh to many cars, to many plans, not enough money or time.

No theres no point in this post, just me blabbing and wandering, waisting time till Dinner.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-06-2001).]
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 09:36 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Mercury, I figure my C-4 costs me 25 hp. Sound about right to you?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:06 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Rev.

At least that much. I say anywhere from 15%-25% powerloss. I entered the engine specs into desktop Dyno (I know its not that accurate, but gives a ball partk figure) I was surprised when it graphed my engines peak HP at 312. I cant remember the torque, but I do remember it was higher. I'll have to ask TIM C to check the file again. After all the drivetrain loss in the C-4 and sloppy (Needing rebuilt, its got massive play) rearend, I'm guessing only about 180-200 HP goes to the pavement.

My friends under carburated 67 Fairlane, with single point distributor, peaked at 493 HP with 550 Ft-LBs of torque passed 6000 RPM according to desktop Dyno. Its a dragster we cruise around on the street with and tinker with constantly.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote