MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Leaking Intake Manifold???

Help...I have a new engine (289) that I have put about 200 miles on in the last year. I noticed a few weeks back that there was oil leacking from one of the bolts that holds the intake manifold in place. I have a Edelbrock performer aluminum manifold installed. It has about 6 bolts on the left and 6 on the right holding it down to the engine. the 2nd bolt from the front on the drivers side is oozing oil out and it is pooling on the manifold. It is not a ton of oil or a real mess (yet), but I have taken the bolt out and tried to seal it...OK for a day and then the leak is back. I used Blue RTV sealer. All the other bolts are not leaking and are completely dry. Any thoughts on this one before I go to a mechanic...
Thanks!!!
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default orange RTV sealer?

Try the orange high temp sealer instead of the blue and see what happens. My experience is that the blue stuff never really sets up very well. Let the orange high temp sealer set for an hour before you fire it up. With any luck, it won't leak. Let me know if it works.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the advise....

Thanks Rev...I will give that a try. Is leaking oil from the Manifold bolt normal or is it a sign of a deeper problem?
TJ
Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Just thinking?

That bolt should be going into a blind threaded hole in the head. Are you sure it's oil that's leaking? It could be coolant from the water jacket connection between the head and the intake manifold. Did you put RTV arround the water jacket holes on the intake gasket when you did the installation?

Just wondering if it could be a coolant leak.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
orlowted
Registered Member

Default It's oil

Nope - it's not coolant....It is definetly oil...that is why I was thinking that the gasket might need replaced. I did seal around all the holes when I installed it last year and followed the instructions for installation. I tried a different sealer and it is not leaking any more, but I am wondering if I should remove the manifold and put new gaskets in? I really don't want to fo that, but if this could lead to a bigger problem then I want to get it corrected before I end up with a serious and expensive problem.
Thoughts???
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
orlowted
Registered Member

Default I found the answer

Just an FYI for those of you following this post...I took the car to the Engine Builder today and before I could even get to the problem...he knew the reason for the visit...Aluminum intakes on a cast block tend to not react as well to the heat. He told me that it was a commom problem with Ford intake manifolds leaking at the fastner bolts and that a little plumbing wrap and sealer on the bolt shaft would cure it...He was right. I feel much better and now it does not leak. I trust this guy - he has to pay any warranty damage on the engine for another 800 miles....
TJ