MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
frappy
Registered Member

Default 67 , convert, new rims hit fenders on sharp turns

Hi,
I have 67 mustang and got new 14" rims and tires so that we could install disc brakes on the front.

After installing the disc brakes the tires now rub on the outside edge of the tire on sharp turns, rubbing against some part of the fender.
I did not drive the car much before the disc breaks were put on , so do not know if it rub also before the disc brakes were put on with the new rims. My brother inlaw thinks the disk brakes might have push the tire out a bit.

My father in law states that we needed to get rims that have more 'backspace?' which would push the tire in closer and give enough clearance. I am wondering if there are any other solutions, besides messing with the fender or getting new rims and tires... For example, I do not think the front shocks are new, if they were newer , would that raise the front up? Or is there a way of adding lift so that the fender (front sits a bit hirer off the tire... Or is the right way to get new rims that sit in more...
frappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: 67 , convert, new rims hit fenders on sharp turns

Try the shocks first, you probably need them anyway, but the rims probably need more backspacing. These cars originally had 14 X 5" rims on them with little skinny tires. Wider rims sometimes cause rubbing on the fenders. There is a way to "roll" the fender lip in some so it doesn't rub. Otherwise, you will either ruin your fender or ruin your tire if you don't drive like a little old lady all the time, and what fun is that?

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I use to have 14 inch rims on my car, that were not really designed for the mustang. You really need a rim with the proper backspacing. A cheaper and less attractive way to fix it for now, would be to put a spacer between the shock tower and the front Coil spring.....or put new coil springs (stiffer ones) in it all together.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

There are 2 versions of the coil spring isulator. The thin one doesn't raise the ride height. The other one is 1 inch thick and so raises the ride height one additional inch. That's the cheapest and easiest way to help the tire rubbing problem.

The best way, IMHO, is to use 620 springs, good shocks, and thin insulators with the correct back spaced rims. That allows me to use 215/60/15 radials with no rubbing. That's also with 1/4 coil cut out of the springs to lower it an additional inch in the front.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
fastfords66stang
Registered Member

I have been throught a similar problem if they are rubbing all the time when you are drive no shock or anything will fix it if you keep the disc breaks except back spacing
if they only hit when you turn you can add hard stops to stop it from hitting.
fastfords66stang is offline   Reply With Quote