MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
71grande
Registered Member

Default For the love of god, HELP!!

Ok, a few weeks ago my heater core developed a leak. Not a world stopper, I just re routed the rad hoses to bypass teh heater but now me fan motor is gone as well. Again, not to worried as I went out and picked up a replacement. But HOW THE HECK DO YOU CHANGE THEM!! I am trying to remove the bottom half of the "box" behind the glove compartement, but it is kicking my ash. Do I have to pull my ENTIRE dash out? I have the top off it right now so I can kinda see what I am doing, and i found that there is a bolt in each corner that holds the front on the dash, but do I have to remove this? Or is there any way to fix it with out ripping my entire dash?

Has any one scanned a shop manual so us chepskates can just Download it? If not, any one in sandiego / Los Angles have on that I can borrow so I can scan it and put it on the web site Im building? Please?

Thanks or your time.

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:42 AM   #2
66StangGuy
Registered Member

i replaced my heater core. you have to take the front cover that holds the vents together apart. there are small clips that hold that in around the outside. then once inside all you have to take off is the hose clamps to take the core out. Then you can take out the motor by removing the bolts under the hood. if you need more details or help let me know.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:49 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

This is a '71 stang, it's a lot diff then our '66 are.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #4
thunderbolt
Registered Member

OHHHH I relly feel your pain, did the same thing in a 72. I took the lower portion of the box out. Hardest part is removing the clips in the back. I think I pryed them off with a long screwdriver. I took out the passanger seat to make it a little easier to manuver. Once you get it split apart you sill have to yank it around quite a bit to get the core out. I even broke off a corner of the bottom of the box, but luckily it went back together real well with epoxy. Be sure to remove the mounting screws too, you are going to have to shove the upper half way upwards to get the old core out. No easy way about it that I could see. To get the box back together I put the clips back around all the areas I could reach and sealed the seam with silicone calking material.

I think I would go without heat rather than do that one again. Hated every minute of it. Now after those inspiring words don't you just want to get to it?
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
71grande
Registered Member

um, thanks Thunderbolt. Now Im really scared...

I think Im gonna go ahead and rape my dash as well as pull the seat as you suggest. I take it this isnt goig to be a simple one hour job....

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

Old 10-09-2002, 09:13 PM   #6
thunderbolt
Registered Member

I missed an important point. Do you have AC or not? I described a unit with AC. I do have schematic drawing for each that might be of some help. I could e-mail you a jpeg or bmp if I can get them to scan right.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:16 PM   #7
71grande
Registered Member

yep she gots AC. I pulled my dash OUT tonight. and pulled the big round doohicky that has the blower motor attached to it. Good god it is big. I cant for the life of me figure out how you got popped the clips on the back of the box though. Thems kicking my bunns. I know you said a long screwdriver, but how did you get it to the clips?

My car looks WAY different now with ou the passenger seat, top dash pad, and front of the dash... My neighbor thinks that I ruined the car. I just hope they are wrong.

1970 Norton 750 Commando

Old 10-10-2002, 07:10 AM   #8
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

U could always just buy a portable heater

Sorry, I'm not much help.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 10-11-2002, 03:21 PM   #9
71grande
Registered Member

well it took me two eenings to do, but now my dash is out, my blower fan thingy is out and swapped for tthe new one and my air box is taken apart and the new core is in it...

Now I get to try to remember how the hel I took this all apart. I realised last night that while removing my dash I diddnt mark any of the wire connections. This should be interesting. I did remember to label all my Vac lines from the heater though. that is the one thing that I did do thank god.

Well If I can get my Digi Cam working Ill get a few pics of my car while it is destroyed.

as to the portable heater... I was thinking that since I had my pass seat out, I would just strip the carpet off that side and build a small fire pit there. Heck I could make smores on the drive to work.

Mike

1970 Norton 750 Commando

Old 10-11-2002, 05:13 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

Default Ford shop manual

71grande, why not just invest in a Ford shop manual. I paid $35 for mine ('66) about 5 yrs. ago, and it's been the best investment I ever made. For mundane but tricky jobs it helps a lot. Stuff like adjusting windows, removing ignition switch, light switch, heater core, etc., etc. Also has detailed wiring diagrams and a bunch of everything else. Thick as a telephone book and very detailed. It's worth the $$$.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 10-11-2002 at 09:08 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:22 PM   #11
71grande
Registered Member

Oh sure, buying the manual would be the easy and smart thing to do, but I am a Marine for the last 9 years. Every one lnows that we aint the brightest guys runing around on the planet. It is our nature to just tear things apart and then get REALLY frustrated when they dont go together easy.

that said wheres teh best spot to get one of them thar books?

Mike

1970 Norton 750 Commando

Old 10-12-2002, 04:35 AM   #12
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by 71grande
Oh sure, buying the manual would be the easy and smart thing to do, but I am a Marine for the last 9 years. Every one lnows that we aint the brightest guys runing around on the planet. It is our nature to just tear things apart and then get REALLY frustrated when they dont go together easy.

Mike

ROTFLMAO

Thats the going word here in the AF-lol
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 10-16-2002, 07:00 PM   #13
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 71grande

Mike
Try calling the Kragen on Estrella. They seem to be more helpful than the guys in the South SC store. You could hike all the way up to Pep Hoes on Lake Forest, but anyone will probably have to order the book anyway.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:07 PM   #14
71grande
Registered Member

yea, I went to the Kragen on Estrella. 19.95.

Heater is fixxed. I finally have a defroster. WHOOPIE!!

Mike

1970 Norton 750 Commando