MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-28-1999, 07:08 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Default Mallory Unilite distributer.... Anyone else have problems?

In my '66 coupe, the Mallory Unilite module in the distributer lasted 4 yrs. and 18,000 miles. The guy at the warehouse where I bought the new module for $86 said that was longer than they usually last. I thought the main advantage in an electronic ignition was supposedly dependability and worry free. Anyone else with Mallory Unilite experience these short-lived modules?

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 12:48 PM   #2
DebsStang
Registered Member

I just had a similar problem with my Mallory Unilite. The car kept "turning off" on me - it was sporadic and inconsistent. Took it to the Ford dealer who totally screwed it up. The mechanic there rewired the ignition wire directly to the coil, which (and this is according to Mallory) will destroy the module. After I got it back from the dealer, the car was 100 times worse than when I took it. I talked to a cousin who is a mechanic in Michigan and he said to replace the resistor. After I did this, the car was 99 percent better. That lasted 2 days then the car quit completely. It was found that the module was bad. (I believe this happened because the Ford mechanic rewired the ignition wire wrong.) Luckily, my cousin sent me a module and since I've installed it, the car has been fine. In summary, it could be the resistor not the module. The resistor costs $15 versus $90 for the module.

Deb Henderson
Quote:
Originally posted by Rev:
In my '66 coupe, the Mallory Unilite module in the distributer lasted 4 yrs. and 18,000 miles. The guy at the warehouse where I bought the new module for $86 said that was longer than they usually last. I thought the main advantage in an electronic ignition was supposedly dependability and worry free. Anyone else with Mallory Unilite experience these short-lived modules?

Rev
DebsStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 03:03 PM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Well used to have lots of ignition problems I tried everything then i went to msd got the 6a, wires, coil and distributor and now everything fires likes it is supposed to i would recomend cutting out everything and going with the msd it will make everything that much better.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 05:39 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

My goodness. I guess "old posts never die". Didn't expect responses a yr. and 4 mo. later. LOL. Actually, the resistor ws OK. I checked that. Dropped voltage from 12.6 down to 8-9 volts after a couple of minutes. This module just went on it's own after a few yrs.
This newer one has been Ok so far (another 8,000 miles.) If I had it to do over, it would definitely be with MSD.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.

TCI 2400 stall converter
B&M Trans-pac shift kit
No new track times until
cool weather
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 10:08 PM   #5
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

My unilite lasted 12 months and about 12,000 miles. Then I switched to an MSD dist. and 6A, which have performed flawlessly for many years.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2000, 09:52 PM   #6
make7UPYOURS

mallory unilites have problems because the module is very likely to fail in high heat areas, such as the front of a small block ford. its common. the newer unilites are better i hear. ive got the first design, 8 years old, no problems yet, fingers crossed.

------------------
67stang coupe, carb on 5.0, 4 speed, 4.11's....8.41 @ 83mph in 1/8 wanting 7's