MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-24-2001, 09:11 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Missing emissions smog parts??

I bought a 93GT with 60K on it that was doing 9's. The previous owner left almost everything except motor and tranny and I want to put this on the street with a 393 stroker. However, I'm not sure as to what smog stuff I need on the car. Can anyone give me a checklist of equipment I should be looking for. Hopefully, if anything is missing, I can get it from the boneyard or dealership.

------------------
In-progress Street Legal
351..(So far)Edlebrock Performer RPM head, Upper&Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB..Full Cartech Fuel System..30lb Injectors..
Sothside Machine bars&sub-frames..Air Bag rear end..3.73's..???Tranny
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 01:23 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

as you are looking down on the engine compartment....
lower left, very bottom is the smog pump..off the smog pump there is a steel tube that runs to the back of the heads.
there are some vac attatchments but if you looked at a boneyard car it would only take about 20 minutes to get all of it off.
make sure you get the steel tube from the y-pipe to the h-pipe. also you will need a hi-flow catalytic h-pipe( or weld the smog tube to the h-pipe) the y-pipe(which is probably gone) should now have thermactor plugs in it's place on the back side of the heads....i would say that's about it.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 04:43 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

The motor isn't in the car yet. My engine is close to be finished and I want to put it on the road. I'm trying to figure out if the previous owner left all the original stuff on the car. What I have right now is an empty engine bay with a bunch of open plugs and a box of wiring harnesses. What should I be looking for? By the way, the motor is a 69 351W and I'm using Fuel Injection and EGR valve. Do I need a smog pump? Also, I was told by a guy at Brother's that I need a Cannister Purge, what does it do?

------------------
In-progress Street Legal
351..(So far)Edlebrock Performer RPM head, Upper&Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB..Full Cartech Fuel System..30lb Injectors..
Old 03-25-2001, 05:05 PM   #4
stangbang
Registered Member

the canister purge is for your gas tank. since about 1975 all U.S. made cars no longer have vented gas caps.instead the tank has a hose that runs up to the canister. the canister has a charcoal filter in it.it's a black rectangular box mounted low on the passenger side of the engine bay.your car would probably pass emissions test without it unless they open the hood and do a visual inspection.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:48 PM   #5
50Cobra
Registered Member

Smog parts? Who needs smog parts, unless you have an inspection (and even if you do register it at your grandmoms in a state that doesn't) and ditch all that junk. It is SO much cleaner and easier to work on!

------------------

Matthew Hayduk
94 Cobra
91 LX 5.0 AOD
84 LX 460 Project
00 Ranger 4.0L

50Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

They don't do visual inspections here. I'm just concerned as to what the previous owner took off of the car.

------------------
In-progress Street Legal
Old 03-27-2001, 06:25 PM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

They don't do visual inspections here in Mass. I'm worried that I'll spend big $$ and won't get to enjoy the car on the street. I already ordered the BBK H-pipe with Cats. Whih headers can I use that will fit with a C-4?

------------------
In-progress Street Legal