View Single Post
Old 06-07-1999, 09:26 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Stryfe,boy where do you start? Keeping in mind the money issue,I'll throw in some ideas.First I have a 69 Soortsroof with a 351W and I'm considering some of the changes as well.The biggest draw back to our engines is in the heads,even though I have some of the better heads with the 4 barrel setup they still don't flow that great.Cost wise if you have these heads ported and polished this will help, but these new heads that are out will give you 40 hp right out of the box.If you can afford it a new dual plane intake will also be nice and if your not that mechanically inclined stay with the autolite carb.I had mine tweaked by pony carb. up too 600 cfm and let me tell you it performs great and doesn't need all the attention my Holley used to need.As far as the lower end if this is the original cam you would probably need to replace it anyways, just step it up some and it will help. There are kits available that include intake and cam setups that might make it easier choosing the right one.You could always change out the rods and pistons but this will get you deeper in the wallet.
Don't forget about the ignition, I don't have the new electronic ignition yet but as far as upkeep and performance I have heard it's worth the money.
This will be alot to digest so think about what kind of driver you want because if you just want to go fast it's one thing and if you want a smooth idle and a few more mpg it's another.
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote