MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2002, 08:15 AM   #1
Wendell Allen
Registered Member

Question More On The Valve Adjustment

I appreciate your earlier comments and suggestions. Here's what happened.

I ran each valve open, and tightened it's "mate" for that cylinder. I tightened them to resistance, then another half turn.

The car starts and runs fine, but I'm still getting a lot of clatter. I noticed after stopping the engine though, that for the valves that were completely closed, the pushrod had become loose enough to spin without reisitance. So I retightened them all again. And again, and again. Until the adjusting screws were all the in! Everytime I ran the motor, the pushrods would become easy to spin again after stopping the motor!

This car sat for a while before I got it, so I'm wondering if the lifters are just dead or gummed up inside and not pumping up the way they should.

Sound like it's time for a new set?

Thanks,
W
Wendell Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default oil pressure?

I wouldn't tighten more than the original 1/2 turn past the removal of the slack. That should put the hydraulic lfter piston in the working range. The lifter will "self adjust" to point where you can rotate the push rod with your fingers after adjustment with the valve closed, but there shouldn't be any play in the system after the adjustment. When the engine is running and you have oil pressure, there really shouldn't be any "lash" or any noise. The idea is that the valve train operates with 0 clearance and wear adjustment is automatic due to the oil pressure on the lifter piston. What's the oil pressure like? I can't think of any other reason for the valve noise if the lifters are functioning correctly, adjusted correctly, and the oil pressure is adequate.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:29 AM   #3
Wendell Allen
Registered Member

Default Hey Rev..........

I just rebuilt this motor, and I did put in a new oil pump. And I primed the motor before starting.

But I'm not sure how the oil passages run on this motor. I'm certainly getting oil to the top end, as I've splattered it all over the compartment trying alternative methods of taking care of this. And it's running from the rocker arms down the pushrods to the lifters.

But my train of thought is that there needs to be pressure at the middle section of the lifter. Not just oil running down push rods. I suppose it's possible that there is sufficient clearance in the passages that lead to the top end, while the separate passages to the lifters, assuming there are some, are partially blocked.

I've run the engine up to operating temp, and the lifters haven't frozen up. So there's at least enough oil pressure to keep them from scuffing their respective holes. Because of this, I believe there is enough pressure there.

I've purchased a new set of lifters, so I'll update you on it when I install them tomorrow night. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks Again,
W
Wendell Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: