MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2000, 09:31 AM   #1
David Fulford
Registered Member

Thumbs up Motor switch out

I have a 69 mustang that I want to put a new motor in. I'm wanting to put a ford fuel injected crate motor that came out of a 90 GT. I want to put al my old parts on the new style motor though.(intake, carb, dist, alternator, etc.) Will the bolt patterns match up from the old block hardware to the new block. I'm also wanting to put a t-5 in it to replace the t-10 it has in it now. Is the transmission switch out possible.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 10:44 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

The t5 swap should be easy as long as you have the money. Many companies are selling t5 conversion kits. The Motor swap may be more complicated. You will have to use a new style clutch as the newer blocks don't have the boss for the clutch bell crank. The harmonic balancer for the 69 has three bolts for the pulley (I think, check it) and the newer style has four. The internal balance of the newer engines is different than the old ones so use the later flywheel. I don't think the balancer effects this but you will need to check. Other than that I think it should all bolt up.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2000, 06:38 PM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

David, this can be done. It is even easy with just a few parts and a lot of knowledge.

Thunderbolt is correct about the harmonic balancer--both the balance and the number of bolts is different from the old engine, and therefore the old engine pulley will not work on the new balancer. I believe March makes a pulley set to fix this problem. I used the serpentine belts, so I did not have to deal with this conflict.

The engine itself is nearly a perfect twin to its older brothers, the 289 and 302. Hence the intake, carb, headers and such will bolt on with no problems. The engine will drop right onto the old motot mounts, and the transmission will bolt right up.

While Thunderbolt is correct that the newer style bellhousings (which are longer than the old ones) use the cable as opposed to the old mechanical linkage (ugh), they can be easily modified to accept the pivot for the old style clutch arm. The pivots are even available at the Ford parts counter.

Another option on the bellhousing is to use your old one (which will already have the pivot) and buy a spacer to go between the bellhousing and the transmission (The T-5 has a 1" longer input shaft).

The bigger problem to overcome to use the old linkage is the new block does not have a boss on the side for the clutch equalizer bar to swing on. There is a part made just for this, but I am not sure of the manufacturer. I seem to recall seeing all the parts for sale in the Dallas Mustang catalogue, but don't quote me.

You also need a new transmission crossmember to complete the swap. I know this part is for sale by every Mustang vendor. They will likely try to sell you a kit, and if you aren't a good fabricator, you should probably buy it.

What ever you do, DON'T FORGET to change the gear on your old distributor to a steel one. The cam in that crate motor is undoubtedly a steel roller, and it will chew up the old cast iron gear in no time, causing part failure...leading to a new cam, distributor, and a gear. You can get a gear from Mallory, or Crane for instance.

Sorry so long, but I've been there myself. I had to figure most of this out on my own--including manufacturing a clutch pedal to use the cable clutch. If you want to go this way, I've heard that someone is actually selling pedals to make this swap easy. BTW...It works GREAT.

OOPS, one more thing. If you switch over to the old style pulleys, you HAVE to use the old type water pump. The 5.0 pump turns backwards--it won't work at all turning in the opposite direction.

[This message has been edited by 66fastback (edited 10-14-2000).]
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2000, 01:20 AM   #4
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Hey 66;
Great info on that t-5 swap. Been thinking of doing that myself.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2000, 06:01 PM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

Go for it Thunderbolt. The T-5 swap has been one of the most rewarding changes I've ever made to any of my cars. The lower first gear makes for a nice take off, and the overdrive is fantastic. Works great with my 3.40 gears. ;>

Anybody wanting to do this swap should seriously consider the cable clutch. Smooth and quiet. Also opens up room for some types of headers. The JBA's clear nicely.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 08:34 AM   #6
David Fulford
Registered Member

All of this info has been great guys.
Thanks a million!!!

David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: