MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-29-2000, 06:29 AM   #1
BaZ
Registered Member

Question Mustang Newbie

Hi all!,

Since about a year or 2 now, I'm totally crazy about the Mustang 65 coupe. Right now I found some nice looking (at least for the untrained eye ) mustang '65 coupe's. I'm not a trained mechanic, but I really want to learn, so I thought: with a mustang that is in reasonable shape, some help, and this really great site, I should be able maintain a Stang... I have to start somewhere. So what are the important things to look at when you're buying a 65 pony?? Also I would like your opinion as pro's, if it's a good idea to start out this way. I live in The Netherlands, and we don't have those nice mechanic clubs you have in the States that I hear about.
I hope you can give me some advice,

TIA,
Bastiaan

Old 10-29-2000, 12:39 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Welcome. You certainly sound enthusiastic.

The best advice I can give you on looking at an old Mustang is to crawl under it and look for rust. Check around the wheel wells--especially at the outside lip, and check the floor pans. These old cars have a bad problem with the cowl area leaking(those vents right in front of the windshield). This allows water to run into the car, drip on your feet, and rust out the floor pan.

Another problem on cars this age is the electrical system. Avoid cars with lots of wire splices, maybe the owner knew what he was doing...maybe not. Either way it is a sign of trouble.

Other than that, it's about the same as looking for any other car. Look for signs that the car has been in a wreck. Check tires for uneven wear.

I see by that last line that you are interested in performance. A 351 in a 65 coupe can be awsome, but before you do it, consider adding power to a 289 or 302. My favorite change is new heads. You could even put heads on the 289, and if it's not enough for you, you can take them off and use them on that 351.

Regardless of which engine you use, be sure to match the cam to the heads, buy some rear gears, and yell at us for help if you ever get stuck. We all spend time on these boards to help one another, and I've said it before....this is the greatest resource tool ever invented. I wish I had this to refer to back when I was just getting started in the hobby, my life would have sure been easier.

Good luck finding a Mustang, and don't hesitate to ask us opinions on your potential purchase.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 10:03 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

66 fastback just about said it all, follow that advice and Good Luck!

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 11:48 AM   #4
Jaydee
Registered Member

Also agree 100% with 66 fastback. The only thing I would like to add is that since you are looking at the coupe body style, also take a good look at the area where the side of the roof joins/blends into the rear fenders. This area was leaded in from the factory prior to being painted and over time many cars have developed some pretty nasty looking/severe cracking in this joint. Many people try the quick fix on this and fill these cracks with regular plastic type body filler, which is at best a temporary fix due to the normal flexing of the body which cracks the filler in short order. Its best to buy a car that has not developed these cracks or has been repaired using the correct method. Good luck with your project!!

1965 K-Code coupe, matching numbers restoration ongoing.........

1987 Lx notch with the normal bolt on's
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote