MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

Default Need help deciding on an engine block!!

Finally getting the stroker together this fall and I have ran into some block and price problems what do you guys think? First option, factory block machined locally with stud girdle, although cheap I fear the worst with a supercharger and high dollar rotating assemble. I wanna start at 9psi maybe a little more in the future. Second option Keith Craft will send me a new 302 blueprinted and bored with torque plates line honed and clearenced with arp main studs installed for around $750 I talked to them about a sportsman block thinking it sounds like a happy medium and they said the block is basically the factory 302 with a little better main caps and that I should go with the R302 block to have absolute no worries with boost and HP The problem is they want $2450 out the door for an R block ready to install with all the fancy machine work done. I'm leaning towards the new stock block with good machining. I know the block it the foundation for all the other parts but I think that R-block is a little steep. Can someone here convince me to go with the R block I don't have tons of money but I really want my car to have a ton of HP and not have a lot of worries about throwing a rod or breaking a main cap. Sorry this got so long!
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
93 Cobra needs input is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

My quick analysis and opinions...

1) Are you running 10:1 compression? If so, watch out throwing 9psi or even more at it...

2) A well built/machined stock 302 block with T6 6061 Girdle (like what DSS sells) with all ARP, etc. should hold up fine to 500 HP, maybe even 550 HP. Over that and you're pushing the envelope. Also, are you going to be dropping the clutch at 5500 with slicks out back and a drag suspension? If so, then look into the R-Block, over than that you should be fine.

3) DART also has some new blocks out there, but I think they require high dollar machining as well - but not sure. Just another option to consider.

4) Lastly, (and maybe this should have came first) what do you want out of the car in the end? That is the ultimate question that will determine whether you need to plunk down the big $ for the R-block or stick with the trusty stocker.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

my opinon..grab a 351 from dss..my 408 with girdle,custom pistons, steel crank and steel h-rods and ARP'ed out will support 750hp..thats a happy median to me..total bottend end cost with low compression pistons is $3500

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

O-ya about the compression thing I have to take that out of my sig. I wanted to go N/A then switched to boost I went with dished JE pistons 8.5:1. My goal for the car is to have my Cobra run high 10's low 11's at the track and be semi streetable. I switch alot of parts on and off for race/street. Suspension shocks,springs,gears, Eric you brought up a good point If I want to dump the clutch at 5,500 with slicks I suppose the torque of the launch puts alot of extra stress on the blocks main caps and stuff. Do you think the R-block is streetable. I'm thinking of going with a blueprinted sportsman block from Keith Craft, DSS girdle and keep my boost to 9psi max. Maybe I can lighten the car for more speed!
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:55 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

The Motorsport B50 block is a good happy medium. I think an R block is alttle overkill for what you want to do. A good friend of mine has a B block in his car and it is holding 18 pounds of boost and running 10.40's@132. An R block could take you near the 7's without any second guessing.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
87lx58
Registered Member

The R block uses same size cam bearings front to rear. most people that run R blocks use roller cam bearings. This means to run this block you need a special cam unless there is a new trick part out.. The Dart block is the better way to go if you spend that kind of money for street use because you can use factory style cams and it is just as strong. The A-4 block which is about like an R block will allow the use of factory cams if you can find one. The B-50 block is rated at 600 horse by motorsport. I would use the B block with a girdle. You have to ask yourself how many times are you going to ask your engine to sustain max power and keep it their. I have run into the same problem before when spraying nitrous. I see people all the time having $7000 in mods to a motor running a $200 block and worried about what to do. Get a good block or don't by the blower.
87lx58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:29 PM   #7
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

Boy the people at this message board sure have a lot of good mustang information to share. I'm glad I found Mustang Works. I think I'll try the B50 sportsman block with a DSS main girdle. If I get a good machine job done and keep my boost reasonable I think it will hold up, at least a little better than the factory 302 in my cobra. At least if the new motor blows I'll still have the factory cobra motor to put back in and it would give me a good excuse to build a big stroker out of a 351W block Thanks