MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
Vishnoff
Registered Member

Default My shifter shakes!!!!!

Ok, new problem in my project car. I have an inline 6 cylinder 200 engine, backed by a three speed tranny. The problem I am currently having, is my shifter hsakes in the H pattern when I hit high speeds (75mph and up). Does anybody know what the problem is and how I can fix it? I will greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Vishnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #2
one
Registered Member

An H pattern, well then there is nothing to worry about. If you said a Z or Q pattern you would be in big trouble. Kidding.

You might want to see if your tranny and motor mounts are old and need to be replaced.

One
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Going the speed limit will probibly cure it.

Signed, The Cops
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 11:39 PM   #4
CobraII76
Registered Member

Try this get it back up to the speed it shakes and shut down the engine if it's still there check the wheels for a bent rim the tires for out of balance the driveshaft could also need to be balanced. If it goes away with engine off check the mounts engine and trans. loose bolts to the bellhousing. And then there is always the option then in the rush to finish you never tightened down the shifter all the way. could be a bad bushing in the shifter if yours had them. Go with the easy stuff first and if you can't find it toss on some new muffler bearings
Old 09-10-2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Jeff65
Registered Member

Here's what you need to do:

Drive on level ground where you can safely get to the speed where vibration is a problem. Depress the clutch and let the car coast. Allow engine rpm to drop. Record whether the vibration continues.

If the vibration continues, its driveline vibration. If the vibration ceases its engine vibration.

If driveline vibration, remove driveshaft and u-joints. Take to light duty driveline shop and get the driveshaft balanced and the u-joints replaced. Reinstall and your problem is likely gone.

If engine vibration it could be from a number of things, loose flywheel, bad pressure plate/clutch, etc. You'll have to diagnose or take to a shop that specializes in diagnosis. Pay for the diagnosis separately from work actions required to correct the problem.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote