MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #1
Vishnoff
Registered Member

Default Need help, can't shift...

Ok, my clutch problem has gotten worse. The clutch pedal hits the wheel for my parking brake and it will not engage. I need to know if my clutch pedal can slide over or if I will have to adjust the freeplay in my clutch. Some please help me! I can't shift!!!!
Vishnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:46 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

It sounds like the clutch pedal is moving to the left, and that could only mean that the washer and pin that hold it in place are gone. The clutch pedal has a cross shaft on it that goes all the way across the pedal support under the dash. This shaft should stick out of the support on the far right side and it should be held in place with a washer and a pin. The pin is a cotter (sp?) pin type deal.

The answer is to your question is "yes" you should be able to push the pedal back over to the right....BUT (you knew that was coming didn't you?) if it has moved over very far, then things won't line up very easy. It could take some real muscle to make it wiggle back into place as you move it over. This is because you have a lot of spring tension on this thing. There is one way up in the dash, and then there is the tension from the return springs. If you do get it back into place, don't drive it until you have replaced the retaining clip and washer.

HINT>>>>this is a wonderful opportunity to slip a little bit of grease onto the shaft. NOT MUCH....you don't want it dripping onto your leg when you drive.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:45 PM   #3
Vishnoff
Registered Member

I took a closer lok at the pedal assembly. The washer and clip are gone, and the pedal has moved pretty far. I will grease that baby up and hopefully I shall have it pushed back into place soon.

Thanks "Doc", you truly helped me out
Old 10-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #4
Vishnoff
Registered Member

I took a closer lok at the pedal assembly. The washer and clip are gone, and the pedal has moved pretty far. I will grease that baby up and hopefully I shall have it pushed back into place soon.

Thanks "Doc", you truly helped me out
Old 10-16-2002, 09:35 PM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

Glad I could help, it's about time I did something useful.