MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2001, 06:55 PM   #1
Taqus
Registered Member

Question need help redoing a mustang please help

Hello, this is actually my first post so i will tell you some quick info on me. I am 18 years old and im a senior in high school. my parents own a ford dealership and all i can ever get is demos. they won't give me my own car and i usually drive trucks. but what i want to do is buy an older mustang like between 65-75 and redo it. we also own a body shop so painting it won't be too hard but to learn how to do the rest i will need help with. it will be doing this mainly on my own cause i don't want to involve the dealship i want to prove to them that i can do someone with cars w/o their help. so if any of you know of any way i can learn out of a book or anything please help.
and so can you tell me about how much of an investment i am making if i get a mustang of that year like how much it will cost to buy a decant one and how much extra should i spend on parts? like at least how much money should i have to start this prodject?
Thanks
Taqus
Taqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 02:41 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Well Tagus, this is a tough decision and a very personal one. First you have to decide on which year and model you want, there are pro's and con's to all of them. The earlier 65-66 models have a better aftermarket support for parts but this is changing all the time.
The year and model type will have alot to do with the pricing, but whatever model you choose find one with a solid body. Rust will be the most costly item you will fix. I would spend as much up front to get this, expect to pay at least $6,000 for a good starter car.
After you decide on the car first thing to buy is a set of shop manuals from Ford.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:35 PM   #3
Brian Browning
Registered Member

You mention the years 65-75. In 74 Mustangs turned into Mustang IIs. I had one in college and it was a pretty decent college car. There's no way I'd put a lot of time and effort into restoring one. If it was me, I'd get one from the pre emissions days. The simplier it is, the easier its going to be to restore.
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 03:52 PM   #4
JohnnyK
Registered Member

I learned everything I know (I'd say I can hold my own working on cars) by buying a Fiero that was sitting for 8 years and getting it started again. Cars are pretty much straight forward if you know the principles that they use. And I'm sure that a carburated car is easier to work on than an EFI... If somethings not working right, you can adjust it instead of buying sensors!
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote